Chapter 9 : Nothing's ever truly Good

You pulled away from Adrian as your eyes widened. Finally out of his grasp you tried to run away. Sadly your legs gave away and you fell to the ground, panting as if you had just run a thousand miles.

Adrian knelt down beside you but before he could say anything you vomited up blood. The vomit that had formed a puddle under you was a bright red. Just the sight made you want to vomit again. You layed down on your side as your vision got increasingly more blurry.

While trying to inhale as often as possible you panicked, you didn't want to choke on your own blood, not here, not now, not ever. The demon held up your upper body so that you'd face him as he, in vain, tried to tell you something. Only as he held you up did you realize that you couldn't hear anything. Maybe he was telling you something of importance, maybe not. You squinted your eyes, as if it would help your hearing.

Trying to say something was useless and even if you could, what would you say? Thank you for making my mortal life absolutely useless by killing the person I died for? Or perhaps, thank you for wishing my worst nightmare to come true?

... What did I do to deserve this?... All I want is an answer... To know why I'm suffering... so much...

Your eyes got heavy as, much like your hearing, your vision started to fail. Darkness, that's what you wanted. Something peaceful without pain and heart ache. You were sure you'd die, from what you remembered, this felt a lot like dying.

You shut your eyes completely, hoping that would help with the pain. Your legs were numb as your ribs felt like they were being ripped out of your body. Your lungs had holes in them, you were sure of it at this point.

... I'm in hell... I'm sure I am...

Giving up was an option you considered at this point. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, to die again I mean. After all, what could possibly be worse than this? Yet, giving up wouldn't solve anything, you'd just be gone. Everything hurt you but that was a sort of evidence, evidence that you were still alive and kicking.

You sat up on your own, Adrian's expression changed to that of curiosity. Slowly, but surely, you stood up and leaned against the wall. The demon in front of you asked you something, but you couldn't hear him and at this point, you didn't really care.

As you started to stumble out of the cabin, Adrian just watched you. The demon wondered if you were still turning or if you were already one of the Fallen. You tried to run but you fell over your own legs. Your arms tried to push your torso back up but someone pushed you back down.

It could've only been Adrian but then you saw a white feather. The color gave you a somewhat nostalgic feeling since once, you'd been deemed pure enough.

The only Angel that would do this was Ash, you knew it for a fact. You tried to stand up again but you were met with the same reaction, he kicked you down. Perhaps he was warning you but what use would that be to you? After all, you're hearing was still gone.

The pain started to return, your lips were quivering as you sweat started to accumulate on your upper lip. This went on for a few moments until you started wishing to faint, not to die, but to black out. To numb out the pain, if only for a few hours.

Finally, you fainted. A small part of you, one that you thought you had dealt with, hoped that it was death that claimed you. Being set free in eternal nothingness didn't seem so bad anymore, at least compared to everything else.

Your eyes started to sting, your mouth and throat felt dry. The moment you opened your eyes again, you wished you had just kept them closed. It took a while to realize where you were, but it didn't take long to realize that you were in danger. Since you were no longer by the cabin or the woods, you inspected your surroundings. There were buildings, broken rotten buildings with overgrown plants around them. This must be an abandoned town, just like the one the innocent boy died in.