17 | war

timothéejune 24

timothée
june 24

i watch from the corner of my eye as rosie dips the large brush into the bucket of yellow paint. we've been comfortably quiet since we've finished filling the planter with dirt. the sun has risen up quite a bit so the temperature has drastically changed. the two of us have grown a little sweaty and i'm sure she's just as icky as i feel.

she must feel my eyes because she turns her head and catches my gaze. "yes?" she asks, her mouth forming into a small smile.

a bit embarrassed, i shake my head. "uh...nothing."

"do you need me to show you how to paint too?" rose teases which only makes my face turn more red.

"shut up."

rosie laughs as she continues painting. i grab my brush and mimic the same strokes as her, making sure to evenly coat the wooden boards. ten minutes have passed and we've successfully finished one side. but i'm even more sweatier than before.

"fuck this." i say, placing the brush onto the edge of the planter and reaching for the end of my t-shirt, lifting it up and over my head.

when i toss it onto the ground beside me, rosie's eyes are glued to me. i know i'm not ripped, far from it actually, but my slim body is enough to make her blush.

i know it might be a little mean but i choose to tease her back. "what?" i question, quirking an eyebrow. "you've never seen a guy shirtless?

rosie covers her face as she chuckles, then lifting her right hand and very visibly flipping me off. "i hate you."

i gasp, rather dramatically may i add. "how could you say such a hateful thing to me!" i take a few steps closer to her. "do you need to see a shirtless body up close? get a better look at it?"

she looks up at me with wide eyes. "no!"

we're both laughing as i stretch out my arms, holding them as if i'm about to engulf her into the biggest hug. but suddenly, rosie sticks out the paintbrush in the space between us. mind you, that space is not very large. i grab her wrist in attempt to stop it but the cold, yellow paint swipes across my chest, slowly dripping down to my stomach. we're both watching it slide down, my hand still holding hers. i look down at her the same time she looks up into my eyes.

"i'm sorry!"

i grin. "you're gonna regret that, rosie." before she can even process my words, i snatch the brush from her hand and wipe it against her cheek.

"oh my gosh!" rosie exclaims, jumping away from me. then she reaches for the brush i laid down and flicks it in my direction, the splat of the paint spraying all over may face.

"oh, this is war!" i declare, in an incredible posh accent that makes her laugh.

and before you know it, we're having a full blown paint war. i'm dipping my hands into the bucket and aiming it towards her as she does the same. the yellow liquid is getting everywhere but i'm having too much fun to worry about my grandma's reaction. i inch closer to rosie and grab her waist, pulling her body against mine as i smear my hand on her cheek and down her neck, covering a large part of her skin. rosie squeals as she runs her messy hands over my collarbone. i'm laughing until i realize the position i've put us in.