08 | roller skates

rosiejune 16

rosie
june 16

the first time i met timothée chalamet is a story i'd always remember because it always seemed so dramatic in my mind. rivers and i had just turned six that year and our family celebrated by having a big birthday party for us as they always do; princess themed, for specifics.

aria, everly, finn and bryson were the first ones to show up, of course. they were dressed just as the invitations instructed— puffy dresses and suits of armor. the boys' costumes were clearly 'diy' that their moms rushed to make last minute and the girls' brought out their most cutest ensembles, most likely their easter dresses.

my mom had sewn the prettiest gown i'd ever seen. it was a dusty pink with little roses stitched in various places of the skirt and a shiny, silver crown sat on top of my large curls. the sleeves rested loosely off my shoulders, leaving room for everyone to admire the diamond necklace that mom had let me borrow. little did she know that i'd end up losing it 5 minutes in. but i truly felt like a princess, elegant and beautiful despite my age.

river's didn't particularly like the idea of the party's theme. he wanted something more pointed towards his hobbies and likes at the time, superhero's for example. but on our birthday last year, he got to choose the theme and mom decided that it was my turn to pick this time. once rivers was in full costume, he didn't complain. as much as he denied it then, we both knew that he enjoyed wearing it.

other classmates that were invited came a bit later and while the parents conversed in the kitchen, we decided to play 'princesses and knights.' the girls pretended to be stuck in tall tower guarded by a large dragon as the boys fought it off in order to save us. our imagination was something else these days.

"i will be right back," i told the girls. "i'm gonna get my brother's sword from his room." i wanted to surprise the boys by pulling out a weapon so that i could help them defeat the dragon.

i ran into the house, walking up the flight of stairs as fast as my little feet could go. when i bolted into river's bedroom, i scrambled through his toy chest until i found the plastic sword that i wanted. i grabbed a one more sword that i saw, wanting to give it to aria or everly, whichever one wanted it more.

as i approached the top of the stairs, taking the first step down, the doorbell rang. mom opened the door and ms. flender came in with a little boy i'd never seen before. he wore a suit, one that a prince could be pictured wearing. all of the other boys were dressed as knights in armor so it made him stand out, in my eyes.

"rosie, come say hi." mom said to me. "this is ms. flender's grandson, timothée." even his name sounded like a prince's.

i walked down the steps, holding my dress so it wouldn't drag on the floor as my other hand held the swords. timothée looked at me, a shy smile on his face as he waved at me. "hi." i said, a bit bashful as i felt my face turn warm.