22 | sleepover

rosiejune 26

rosie
june 26

my hand reaches for the shiny doorknob, forcing a smile onto my face as i twist it open and come face to face with everyone— as in, the entire group, minus aria. i would ask about her later.

i'm hoping none of them can see right through me. my skin feels clammy and i'm more than positive my cheeks are flushed and red. anyone with a brain can take one look at me and assume what i'd been doing.

"rosie!" everly exclaims in a joyous tone. but then again, when isn't she? "we are gonna have a movie night."

finn steps forward. "it was my idea. i realized we haven't had one in forever. and i figured we'd do it at your place since your folks are out of town for the weekend."

"how did you know that?"

"they told mine. asked to keep an eye and ear out for you since we're practically neighbors."

that statement is true. finn lives the closest to me. though our town may be considered small to most, everything else surrounding it isn't. everyone that lives here is relatively wealthy, considering how large everyone's land is. if you took a walk in my backyard, you'd reach finn's property in about 5 minutes. the houses are spread apart but still in eye view. which explains why my parents asked them to keep watch over me.

bryson chimes in. "we thought we'd help keep you company since you're alone." god, little did they know i had timothée stashed away in my closet.

there's a small part of me that's annoyed, mainly because timothée and i had been interrupted. but i'd never express that feeling. yet, another part is excited. movie nights used to be a weekly occurrence for us. each week one person got to choose the movie for the night, no matter how much one may dislike the genre. one time, finn had brought over every filthy, sexual, rated-r film known to mankind for about three months. it was mainly just to piss off aria which he seemed to love for whatever reason.

i gulp, anxiously. "aw, thanks guys. you're the best." i rub my neck. "you know how much i hate being home alone."

"are you okay?" bryson asks, squinting his eyes as he examines my face. "you look...flustered."

out of them all, bryson and i were the closest. so i'm not shocked when he asks that. the boy can read me like a book, which is unfortunate in this case.

i shake my head, chuckling. "what do you mean? of course i'm fine. i'm just really warm cause i baked some cookies, so you know, the oven made the kitchen super hot."

before he could further questions, finn makes a 'mmm' sound. "did you say cookies?" he brushes past me, walking inside and we all follow him.

but the closer we get to the kitchen, the more prominent the smell of smoke gets.

"is something burning?" everly asks out loud.

my eyes grow wide as i curse out loud, running around the island and quickly pulling down the oven door. there's a small frown on my face when i carefully pull out the sheets and drop them onto the stovetop. what was supposed to be delicious, soft cookies is now black, crispy blobs. the timer should've gone off, why didn't it?