03 | awkward

timothéejune 13

timothée
june 13

it's so quiet, it's almost painful. i didn't know what to say and it seems like she doesn't either. my eyes roam over her face and body, wanting to see what's changed since last time.

skin still radiant and her soft caramel tone was always able to bring out colors, especially the green top she has on. rosie was pretty then, but gosh, she's become a lot more. i hope she doesn't hate me too much.

finally, she speaks with no expression on her face. "timmy."

"rosie." i say back, putting my hands into my front pockets.

"h-how are you?"

i chuckle, forced at least. "i'm great."

"that's good," she says to me, awkwardness visible in the tone of her voice. at least she's trying.

i never anticipated how this moment would occur. in fact, i hadn't imagined ever seeing rosie again. the girl, really, has not been in my mind since the last time i saw her. but judging how things were going at the moment, it seems to be going fine. it doesn't exactly sound like hates my guts, though i wouldn't blame her if she did.

rosie takes a quick sip of her lemonade before setting it down onto the edge of the table. she folds her arms across her chest, staying quiet. fortunately, at the sound of the back door opening, our heads whip around to find my grandma entering with a smile that forms once she notices the two of us 'talking.'

"oh great," she says. "you two have already caught up. rosie, i was hoping you could tell your friends that timmy is here. i don't want him spending all his time indoors, he should be out with kids his age."

rosie glances at me, "o-of course!" that didn't sound too sure. almost like she didn't want to at all. but if i know rosie to be the same as before, i know that she's too nice to say no.

grandma grins at her response. "thank you dear. now let's go back outside. if we wait any longer, the sun will have risen more and we don't want to be working under the heat."

as she walks out of the door, rosie turns her head back to look at me. "it was nice seeing you, timmy."

i take one hand out of my pocket and raise it in the air, just aligned with my chest, and wave. "uh, you too."

once she's gone, i let out a breathe i hadn't noticed that i was holding in. normally, i'm an easy person to talk to, so i don't understand why i wasn't able to find the right words to say to rosie. maybe it's just the shock from seeing her after so long.

i begin to shuffle through all the different cupboards, in hopes of find a box of cereal that might catch my attention. unfortunately, grandma isn't too keen on the sugary goodness and seems to only have bland cereals, such as corn flakes and plain cheerios. either way, i grab one of the boxes and pour it into a bowl i grabbed from the clean side of the sink. as i'm opening the refrigerator, i can hear my grandma's voice from behind me.