01 | the beginning

rosie

summer of 2019. the one that i would never forget, as much as i've tried to. i never expected myself to fall for the boy. most importantly, i never thought it'd break my heart. again. but things don't always go the way we want, right?

this is our story. the story where we fall in love.

 the story where we fall in love

timothée
june 12

the second i step out of my car, i'm hit with the smell of wild flowers, much different compared to the ac. it's mixed with the scent of pine wood and newly mown grass, the moist dirt leaving behind the fresh, misty petrichor of the post-rain morning.

i've missed this.

the sound of the screen door creaking open catches my attention

the sound of the screen door creaking open catches my attention. "timmy!" my grandma explains, rushing towards me as she runs past the clothes line that had white tops hanging. the moment we're only inches apart, her arms engulf my body into a hug which i return. "i've missed you so much."

i smile against her softly, brushed hair, "i missed you too. how have you been?"

she replies, "i'm good, sweetie. everything has been the same around here. the murphy family next door, remember them? they moved a couple months ago. the husband got a job offer in arizona. the new family should be moving in sometime soon, though."

i drift my gaze towards the house only feet away. i had faint memories of their son, jasper, who was the same age as me but one thing i distinctively remember was that he peed on my back. "that's good."

"how are you?" grandma asks me, leaning back to examine my face. "your mother told me about that girl amelia."

her face flashes in my mind. milky blonde hair, a wide toothy smile that could be seen from a mile away and dimples as deep as the ocean. fuck, i miss her.

we'd been together for two years, not a lot but it felt like eternity. i'd fallen for amelia hard, so hard that i wanted to marry her. she was the girl i saw in my future.

lucia, my best friend, always criticized our relationship. she told me that i needed to take things slow, that i always fall in love too easily. i never listened.