Chapter 12

She waited until Waverly left, her mind already made up, heading to her family's mansion in the hopes of speaking to her father. "I need you to introduce me to Lord Blackwood," she announced at the dining table, her father looking up from his plate of roast beef.

"May I ask why?"

"I believe he is single."

Her mother dropped her fork, apologising. "I occasionally take tea with his aunt. I can make the necessary introductions."

"Rather ambitious fellow," her father remarked, returning his attention to the beef. "Although, he does appear to have the ear of some in Parliament. What is your interest in him?"

"I hear he knows his own mind. A quality I admire in a man. Like you father."

She didn't care which parent got her to Blackwood, so long as it offered her a way into his life. She bid her parents farewell, her mother hugging her for the first time in years, ever hopeful her daughter might finally be on the lookout for a husband. And now to introduce myself to Inspector Lestrade.

Despite the late hour Nicole headed to Scotland Yard, explaining to the officer on desk duty it was a matter of the utmost importance. Until this moment, she had not needed to reveal her activities to the police, relying on the delicacy of her investigations into her client's matrimonial difficulties to keep matters private, and away from the police.

Lestrade was not how she imagined. Short, rotund, younger than she pictured him, he bowed as he approached. "Lady Haught, what can I do for you?"

"I have a message from Sherlock."

He took a moment to comprehend her words, eyeing her suspiciously. "Follow me."

He led her to his office, closing the door, motioning for her to sit. "Blackwood," was all she needed to add.

Lestrade pulled a battered cigarette case from his jacket, offering her one of its contents. "Blackwood's too hot for me."

"I can bring him to you, if you work with me."

Lestrade lit the cigarette, waving the match vigorously in the air. "Work with you. What are we, hired fucking hands of Sherlock?"

"I can bring you Blackwood. But only if I know you'll get to me in time."

"Look love, I don't have the men or the time for one of Sherlock's games. Whatever he's got you playing I need to do my job."

"I ain't your love," Nicole replied, shifting to a broad London accent. "And, I ain't fucking around. Now, I need the police where I tell 'em to be, when I tell 'em to be. Or, we miss the one chance we have to fuck over Blackwood."

Lestrade exhaled a cloud of smoke, eyeing her. "He trained you well. What's the deal?" Nicole explained her plan. "Are you fucking mad?" he said, stubbing out one cigarette, immediately lighting another. "Only a fucking madman, mad woman. Only someone insane would put themselves in that position."

"How else are we to get him?"

Inspector Lestrade sucked on his cigarette. "And, Sherlock thinks this can be done?"

Nicole nodded. "Lord Blackwood believes he's unstoppable. It's our job to persuade him otherwise."

"He's evaded us. Even if we use you as bait, I'm not sure I have the power to arrest him, let alone keep him locked up."

"The murder of an Earl's daughter will be enough. But, it must flood the newspapers. We create a scandal the likes of which has never been known."

"I'll not be party to murder. I'll help expose Blackwood. No more. Your murder isn't part of this."