Chapter 20

Nicole stopped running when she spotted Waverly at a stall, a bunch of flowers held to her nose. "Don't ever do that to me again," she said, her hands on her knees panting. "You 'ad me out of me wits."

The woman behind the stall roared with laughter. "Ain't letting you out 'is sight."

"I needed something that didn't smell of rotten meat," she said.

"Come on," Nicole grabbing her hand, pulling her away.

"Likes a bit of rough that one," the woman called after.

"So embarrassing," Nicole grumbled, as she marched Waverly towards less disreputable streets. "Don't go wandering off."

"Yes Archie," Waverly replied, her accent equally as broad. "Ain't gonna do that no more Archie."

"Stop it," Nicole snapped. "This isn't a game."

Waverly held her tongue.

Sherlock was beside himself when Nicole handed him the journal. "Good, good. Excellent work. So, it was Luke Reordan, as I suspected."

"I had to barter with the pawnbroker," Nicole said. "I wonder why?"

Sherlock ignored her comment. "I believe the answer to Blackwood's reprise lies within these pages."

"How curious for the journal to be left in plain view where it could be found. Easily found by someone less talented." With that she left the room. A knock on her bedroom door had her cursing silently. "A moment."

"It's Wynonna."

"A moment."

"This won't take a moment."

She cursed again. "A moment."

"Nicole, what happened?"

Does everyone have to be so bloody condescending, she thought. "Nothing. All good."

The doorknob rattled. "You and Waverly are the worst liars ever."

Really do not need Wynonna knowing what happened, she said under her breath. "It all went to plan."

"Only, I specifically remember you promising not to do anything other than visit the pawnbrokers."

"Which we did."

"And, came back with a journal."

Nicole unlocked the door. "We went to his rooms. There were dead things. Waverly needed air. Satisfied."

"No."

"Well, hard cow pats."

"Hard cow pats," Wynonna's lips wobbling. "That the best you've got soldier?"

"Other than you staying in Switzerland. No," Nicole snapped.

"Just tell me what happened."

"I...It doesn't matter."

"It does. Something is bothering you."

"It really isn't."

"It is. We can keep going, or you can tell me."

"Sherlock had already..." trailing off. "She wasn't there. I came outside and she'd gone. And, he's out there."

"Oh sugar plum, you cannot mother her, or stifle her, otherwise she will resent you for it."

"I simply do not want to see her hurt."

Wynonna snorted. "Oh, I agree. Although, I believe it's more to do with you operating independently."