Chapter 33

Lestrade stood outside the Earl of Beaufort's mansion, about to light a second cigarette to calm his nerves. Shoving the case back in his pocket he rang the bell, the earl's butler answering the door, dressed immaculately in a black suit, a full foot taller than the inspector. But for the additional presence of two uniformed officers, the butler would have requested Lestrade use the tradesman entrance at the side of the house.

"I have a message for Lady Haught."

"If you would care to step inside I will ascertain if she is disposed to see you."

"She fu...she will see me," the inspector replied. "Or, she'll find herself back in Newgate."

"If you would kindly follow me," the butler said, his face remaining expressionless, not a hint of alarm at Lestrade's threat.

The three were shown into a small parlour towards the rear of the mansion, none sitting for fear of marking the soft velvet cloth covering the seats. The butler made his way to Nicole's room, knocking to announce the presence of the police. Nicole turned, glancing at Waverly, hurrying to dress. "A moment."

"Shall I say you are indisposed?"

"A moment. I shall be with them presently."

"What do you think they want?" Waverly whispered.

Nicole shrugged. "Perhaps to return me to prison."

"But, your father."

"Lord Coward controls the police, not my father. If I'm arrested again, he may be powerless to buy my second release."

"I thought you said he provided an alibi."

"He did. The sum of twenty pounds. Perhaps it should have been more."

"Why don't we make a run for it?"

Nicole contemplated the suggestion, deciding it impractical. "If I am to be arrested, you must not go near Blackwood's factory. Do you understand?" Waverly nodded. "Waverly, please. It's bad enough I might be returned to prison not knowing what will happen. At least let me not have to worry about you while I'm there."

"I promise. However, I think you're making a mistake. Watson and I would be perfectly capable to assessing the situation at the factory."

"For my sake, just this once, I beg you not to do this."

"Just this once."

Nicole leaned forward to place a kiss on Waverly. "Thank you. Whatever happens-"

"Whatever happens, I'll be waiting for you."

Still dressed as a man, hoping not to see her father, she followed the butler to where Lestrade and his men were waiting, eyeing them suspiciously. "I'm not here to arrest you. I have a message from Sherlock," the inspector said, once the butler closed the door. "He's in Rotherhithe, with Lucy."

Nicole's forehead creased. "Sorry, what? Sorry, who?"

"He wants you to meet him at The Angel seven o'clock this evening."

"Wait, he's not in Newgate?"

"He is not."

Nicole continued to stare at the inspector. "I'm not permitted to leave this house."

"I could arrest you."

"That would be most helpful. Although my father might have something to say about that."

"New evidence," Lestrade replied, winking. "Shall we?"

One of the officers placed handcuffs on Nicole's wrists, marching her out to be met by Nicole's mother, with Alice still in her arms. "Oh my, what now?"