Chapter 13

Watson arrived at Baker Street shortly after nine the next morning advising Waverly he had been unable to speak with Nicole. "Sherlock really has done it this time," he said, sitting in his old chair, staring into the fire. "Even for him this surpasses everything."

"She needs to know. Sherlock needs to explain this is not hers to solve."

"I agree. However. No, you are right, we must not put her in a position of danger."

"Why he ever wrote those words."

"As he admits, he wrote them in a moment of confusion. He never expected those words to ever reach her eyes."

"Well, they did. And, she's as arrogant as him in believing she will succeed."

"There too I must agree. I will return to The Lamb."

Waverly thought for a moment. "She might be at her residence in Mayfair. She rarely stays overnight at the ale house. I'll give you her address."

"I'm assuming you know this because Sherlock had his spies keep an eye on Lady Haught."

Waverly retrieved a piece of paper and pen from the writing desk, scribbling Nicole's address, omitting to inform Watson she too had employed someone to do the same. She handed him the folded piece of paper. "I would come with you, but I am having lunch with Charles."

"Send my regards," Watson said, donning his hat. "Decent chap that Charles of yours."

He hailed a carriage outside the residence, instructing the driver to take him to Park Street, a little frustrated at having to put aside his own work to correct Sherlock's mistakes. As much as he missed the adventures he once had with his dear friend, his forthcoming marriage to Mary and his growing private medical practice were now his priority. Their less-than-amicable parting also weighed heavily on his mind. Nevertheless, he was fond of Nicole and didn't wish to see her harmed, or involved in something for which she could quickly find herself out of her depth.

Nicole was pleased to see him. "How is Sherlock?"

"As stubborn as ever. He owes his life to you, and Waverly. Would never admit it mind."

"I should have gone alone to Limehouse. That area is a world unto itself."

"You are not to go after Blackwood," Watson instructed. "Sherlock is entirely wrong on that matter."

"Rest assured," she replied, "I shall do no such thing. Blackwood appears to be a little too slippery. Presumably why he's avoided capture for this long."

"I have your word?"

Nicole nodded. "You have my word. It would be a foolish move on my part."

"Leave this to Sherlock. Once he is recovered he can pursue that rogue. I will make it my duty to assist him on this one occasion."

"I hear you are to be married."

Watson smiled a little. "The years are catching up with me I'm afraid. I am amazed to have found someone who will have me. With all my faults."

"You are too hard on yourself," she replied. "She is a lucky woman to have you."

"I will expect you at the wedding. It's in June. Mary will send the invitation. She handles such matters."

"It would be an honour."

Watson stood, bowing. "Lady Haught."

As soon as Watson departed she set about the next part of her plan.