Chapter 39

A month later they found themselves in Switzerland, enjoying the scenery and the lack of press intrusion. Nicole's father had listened while she explained her relationship with Waverly, admitting he would need time to adjust. Nicole's mother had hugged both her daughters as they left, saying they remained in her heart, no matter where they decided to make their new life.

Waverly knew Nicole would never want to be too far from her parents, spending many hours talking with Wynonna about what she intended to do. John was agreeable to the idea of returning to England, although he feared British medicine was not to the standard he had come to expect in Switzerland.

Waverly waited for an opportunity to speak to him alone one afternoon. "Nicole's vision is deteriorating," she began.

"That is not my area of expertise," he replied, as they made their way down a mountain path.

"She could be blind within a year."

"Hermann von Heltz is known here for his pioneering work. I could approach him."

"If you think he might help. I've only just got her to wear glasses during the day."

"He will need to examine her."

"Where is he based?"

"Bern. There are daily trains between here and the city."

Sherlock was lecturing Nicole on electromagnetic waves when they returned to the house. He was in his element, gesturing with his pipe, Nicole listening intently while Alice bounced on her lap. Waverly waited until their day's lesson was over, Nicole finding her reading on the balcony. "I might attend university when we return," Nicole announced. "Isn't that right Alice?"

Alice giggled. "John knows someone who could help you. With your vision."

Nicole removed her spectacles, blinking a few times, Alice trying to take them from her. "I have accepted the inevitable. Sherlock says when I lose my sight I will simply have to rely on you to guide me."

Waverly closed the book on her lap. "There is no harm in visiting Dr von Heltz. John will accompany us."

"I have seen enough doctors to last a lifetime. Sherlock says-"

"I know you listen to Sherlock," she said, Nicole registering the edge to Waverly's voice.

"I am grateful for John's offer."

"Will you see him?"

Nicole nodded. "If it would make you happy, I will visit this von Hertz."

"von Heltz."

Nicole handed Alice to Waverly, putting her glasses back on. They really did suit her, gold rimmed and delicate, Waverly lingering over her face. She understood the disappointment Nicole had experienced having visited every doctor in England who all said the same. There was little they could do. Wearing glasses helped, she even had a pair of sunglasses which made her look extremely fashionable, Waverly secretly wanting a pair too.

It took a week for an appointment to be arranged, the three heading to von Heltz's office in the middle of the city. Waverly waited nervously outside while Nicole and John discussed her condition with the renowned surgeon, inventor of the ophthalmoscope, allowing examinations of the inside of the eye.

Dr von Heltz took his time examining both eyes, remaining silent until the end. "The damage to your left is significant," he began, in broken English. "Your right a little better."

"How long do I have?" expecting the same answer as all the other doctors.

He shrugged. "Without treatment I cannot say. A few months perhaps before your left eye no longer is operable. Your right," he shrugged again, "a year, maybe two. You wear glasses, yes?"