Chapter 31

Sherlock was on his tenth story when the guards returned for him, the same routine as Nicole, dragging him out of the prison yard and marching him to the warden's office. Also present was Inspector Lestrade, hands behind his back, the lapel badge bearing the ox symbol clearly on display. "Lord Coward has requested your presence," the warden began. "Your accomplice has been released."

"I'm to take you to him," Lestrade said. "Don't want anything happening to you, do we," he added, a smirk on his face Sherlock could so easily have removed were it not for the handcuffs restraining his hands behind his back.

"Lead the way," he replied.

Lestrade made Sherlock enter the carriage first, a shove to his back in full view of the prison guards causing him to stumble on the last step. Alone as they travelled to Parliament Lestrade tapped his cigarette case repeatedly on his right leg. "You've done it this time," he informed. "Can't say I'm surprised."

"Indeed. You were bound to catch up with me eventually."

"Coward wants you dangling on the end of a rope."

"I dare say he has the power to do so. How long would you say that rope is?"

Lestrade grinned. "Long enough," holding up three fingers of his free hand, then five.

Holmes nodded. "Perfectly manageable."

Lestrade laughed. "Thought you'd say that."

"And, where will you be as I dance for the hangman?"

Lestrade balanced his cigarette case precariously on his right knee, bringing the tips of his fingers together, pointing them towards Sherlock, making an undulating forward motion with both hands.

Sherlock nodded. "Underneath. How convenient."

"I'd gladly pay to see you dance the hangman's tune."

"How much?"

"Five pounds."

"Cheap for such entertainment."

Lestrade leaned forward. "You know I never trusted you."

"The feeling is mutual. I dare say we will meet on the other side."

"My Lucy will make sure of it," Lestrade replied, leaning back once more.

Lestrade's carriage entered the gated area of Parliament, pulling up outside the entrance. One of the Parliament attendants opened the carriage door waiting for its occupants to emerge. The pair exited, Lestrade gripping Sherlock's arm as they marched towards Lord Coward's chambers. On entering Lestrade bowed. "My Lord, I have brought Mr Holmes at your request."

"Where is the other?"

"Released. Lord Beaufort has provided an alibi."

Coward took a moment to consider his actions. "No matter. It is enough this one remains in custody. I shall take it from here. You have done well. The Order will be pleased."

"I now know how someone as uneducated as you Lestrade made it to inspector," Sherlock quipped.

"Very good, my Lord," Lestrade replied, turning to face Sherlock, punching him squarely in the stomach. "Forgive me my Lord, but I've been wanting to do that for a long time."

The Home Secretary smiled. "I shall allow you that."

Sherlock had already begun his detailed observation of Coward's chambers, calculating its area, assessing the entry points, counting the windows along one wall, the size of the fireplace, and the position and angle of each piece of furniture. He squirmed in his handcuffs, realising he was at a disadvantage should Coward decide to land a few punches of his own on his stomach. "How many do you intend to kill?" Sherlock asked, moving towards the fireplace.