idea 23 Current

Current

I lay on the sand as water flows over my knees in soft waves.

I'm cold and exhausted and my mind can't help but run over with blazing hypotheticals of what-ifs and overall thoughts of failure.

I work as a dance teacher, I used to teach a hip-hop class for local high schools, but recently I have been working with children of C list celebrities. By children I mean it in the broadest of terms, somedays I teach classes for a 30-year-old with heavy dance experience to turn around and teach a clumsy, will vomit if overwhelmed 10-year-old, the next hour.

But yesterday I was made aware that a band was looking for a full-time dance teacher and choreographer for a tour they are doing, where they are opening for the hottest band in the world right now, and wanted to make a huge impression on their fans.

Basically, turn it up to an 11/10 experience for anyone involved.

So here comes me a small choreographer who can dance and teach hip hop and some classic ballroom dances in a huge worldwide interview and got a callback. A callback! And they want a one-on-one with one of the members to show my talent.

That's next week and my body and in nothing but Dread!

I don't have the skills why did they pick me? Am I the only one they called back or are there others?

I stand from my self-reflective state and look around.

It's like 10:pm.

I've been here since 4:30.

Damn, im burnt.
I look at my sunburn and groan. I need to go to the gas station or something and get some aloe vera.

Goddammit! Where did I park- oh my God!

"Good morning." I greet the man that walked into the small room.

"Hello, im Poe Yuri." He shakes my hand.

Poe then goes on and on about how he's sorry about being late and how it happened and I just find it cute that he's so worried.

He and I go through some stretches before starting some soft music with a beat that would be easy to follow.

"How well versed are you in dancing?" I ask politely making sure he does the stretch right.

"Well, back in kindergarten I danced ballet. But music has always been a focus in my life." He grins happily.

"I'm guessing you can follow a beat?" I bring my knee to my chest.

"I'm a drummer, if I didn't that would be scary." He says with a laugh.

He's very jolly, I find him very pleasant to be around, I think it will be fun to teach him. He reminds me of my uncle, without a beard.

We run through some steps. I don't understand why he would need to learn dance because drumming is such a key point in the band and you can't really do it dancing around.
But whatever.

He learns very fast and tends to be a bit more graceful in his hands but sloppy on his feet. But it's not a hand thing to work through in the beginning.

If I were to be hired im glad there are 8 months before the tour so they can learn to can't before learning the choreography.