Chapter 20

“What are you planning?” Tyler hissed at the man who turned to us with a confused look.

"Tyler, calm down” I said lowly before turning to the man, “we figured out who’s going to kill the senator.” I said calmly, knowing that the man wouldn’t be stupid enough to cause a scene at an event like that one.

 “Oh really? And who might that be?” He asked, more amused than genuinely interested.

 “You.” I answered without hesitation and watched the smile fall from the man’s face.

 But he covered it up with a laugh just as quickly as he showed it, “I’m sorry, I don’t think I heard you correctly. Did you just accuse me of planning to murder someone?” He asked, astounded.

 “Yeah, we are.” Tyler interjected, rather loudly, causing a few people to glance our way.

 “Why don’t we go somewhere where we can’t be overheard?” I said quietly, interrupting the stare-down between the two.

 The man nodded and led us out of the large room and down a hallway. We followed him inside an empty bedroom. He closed the door quietly before turning to Tyler and I and crossing his arms, “So, do you care to tell me why you believe that I am the one who is going to attempt to kill the senator?” He asked, looking back and forth from me to Tyler.

 “Well, both of us find it strange that you had a mission planned for us so quickly. Especially, since you only wanted me in the first place.” I said, eyeing him warily.

 “What do you mean by that?” He asked.

 “It means that we know you’re trying to make us think you’re going to kill my father. It means that we know ” Tyler said, his jaw clenched.

 “You should be careful about the things you accuse people of especially if you don’t know what you’re talking about.” The man said, his voice tense.

 “Why? Because you know that we’re right about no one actually trying to assassinate the senator?” Tyler challenged, showing no fear.

 The man smiled and started to laugh, “You two caught on a lot faster than we thought you would. Maybe you two are the right ones for the job.” He said.

 Tyler and I just stared at him, “What are you saying? That we’re right?” I asked.

 The man nodded, “Yes you two were correct about this all being a test and no one really trying to assassinate the senator,”, the man said, causing Tyler and I both to smile, “all of this was a test we set up. The kidnapping, fake plot about the senator. We just wanted to see if you two were ready. And you are. So, come with me.” The man said,

 He walked out of the bedroom and even further down the hallway, coming to a stop at the very end. He walked into the room and we followed him. It was an office. He sat down in the chair behind the desk and gestured for us to sit in the two opposite him.