Chapter 16

“Alexandria, sweetheart, I’m afraid you don’t get a choice.” Perscilla’s words still rang clearly in my head.

After Perscilla said that three guards “escorted” Jacob and me to a room. The same room, Jacob informed me, that they left him in when they first brought us to this hellhole.

I was sitting on the floor with my back against the wall, my knees pulled to my chest while Jacob paced in front of me.

“We need to get out of here.” Jacob stated.

“Yeah, I figured that much, thanks.” I said, tilting my head back to look up at the ceiling.

Jacob just sighed and finally stopped pacing to slide down the wall, coming to a stop next to me.

I rested my chin on my knee and looked at the surveillance cameras in the corner of the room that were currently trained on Jacob and I as a plan started to form in my head.

“What are we gonna do?” Jacob whispered, grabbing my hand.

I didn’t say anything as the plan continued to form in my head, me barely even thinking about it. I actually laughed, causing Jacob to look at me as if I had just said something in an alien language, “What’s so funny?” He asked incredulously.

“I think I just awakened the serum.” I whispered to him and his eyes widened.

“How?” He asked, turning to face me.

“I don’t know. I just kept think about how we needed to get out of here and a plan just automatically started forming on my head. I can see it in pictures when I close my eyes but I’m not actually thinking about it myself. It’s like I’m watching from the sidelines. It’s so weird.” I said, saying all of it at barely a whisper and closing my eyes to watch the numbers and symbols swirl around in my head.

Even though I had never seen the symbols before in my life, I knew what every single one of them meant. And I’m not usually one to brag, but my plan was brilliant.

“That’s incredible.” Jacob breathed and I nodded.

“So, what’s the plan?” He asked, making his voice even quieter if that was possible.

I grabbed his arm to pull him closer but as soon as I touched his arm he jerked in his spot like he had been shocked by static electricity. He stared at me with wide eyes, “That plan is amazing.” He whispered.

“What? I asked, extremely confused. I hadn’t told him anything. Had I?”

“When you touched me, I saw the entire plan. It must be one of your other abilities from the serum.” He said.

“So, showing people what I’m thinking, is one of my abilities?” I whispered.

He nodded, “It seems like it.”