Chapter 2

14 years later...

"We shouldn't be doing this." Casey said nervously, looking up and down the empty hallway.

"Shhh." I said from my spot in front of the door of the Principals' office where I was trying to pick the lock.

"We could get in serious trouble." Casey pointed out, in an attempt to get me to change my mind. It didn't work.

"Shhh." I repeated, pulling another bobby pin from my red-streaked black hair and inserting it into the keyhole.

"Lex, is this even legal? What happens if we get caught? Oh I hope we don't." She whispered to me. But it wasn't really a whisper. It was more like her talking to me in a slightly hushed tone. Anyone in the hallway or in the hallway over would be able to hear her.

"We will get caught it you don't keep it down." I hissed at her just as I got the door unlocked.

"Come on." I said and yanked her inside the principals office with me.

I closed the door behind us and turned on the flashlight on my phone.

"Case, keep watch at the door. Listen for footsteps or voices. If you hear anything, anything, we hide, okay?" I asked her and she nodded.

I started looking through the things on the principals desk and almost immediately found what I was looking for. I made my way to the filing cabinet and slipped the key in the lock.

"A's A's, where are the A's?" I murmured to myself as I looked through the files. I found my file and slipped it out. I could tell that they hadn't looked at it yet because there wasn't anything circled anything in red.

I closed the drawer and locked it, then put the key back and turned off my phone flashlight.

"Now, let's make a couple of changes." I said smiling and looking at Casey before making my way back to the door.

I eased the door open and checked the hallway. All clear. We slipped out of the door and locked it behind us.

Just then, we heard voices coming none other than from down the hallway. Heading right towards Casey and I.

"Oh god. Lets go!" I said yanking Casey around the corner as we started running. Away from the principals office, away from the voices, and away from possible suspension.

We didn't stop running until we reached the busy and bustling streets of North End, Boston.

"I can't believe we got away with that." Casey said as we started walking.

I smiled, "I told you we would make it. You should believe in me more often." I told her and she smiled too.

Just then someone accidentally bumped into me.

"Oh I'm sorry..." he trailed off when he looked at me. He looked to be about 16 and had jet black hair like mine-except the ends weren't dyed red-and electric blue eyes.

"I know you." The boy said.

"Um, no you don't." I said looking up at his face which had excitement smeared all over it.

"Yes I do. I would know those eyes anywhere. They're so green." He said looking into my eyes.

"Um thank you but I've never seen you before today. At least, I don't remember." I said

"No, you were really young, you wouldn't remember. All we got was one picture." He whispered the last sentence and for a moment I was terrified that he might try to reach out and touch my face.