twenty

later that night, noelle's party was in full effect. i was in the kitchen with topper, kelce and some other random people from school. i was sat on the counter, my legs criss-cross, playing with some paper clips i'd found in a drawer.

"come on," topper laughed, grabbing them from my hands. "you're being lame."

"why? because i'm not drinking?" i asked.

"you don't have to drink to be interesting." he told me.

i smiled at him as a couple guys walked in with loads of pizzas, putting them on the counter.

"here, keep the change." noelle told them, handing them a wad of cash.

"ah! pizzas!" kelce smiled, pulling open a box and grabbing a piece, taking a bite.

"you want one?" topper asked, stepping closer to me.

"no, i'm okay." i shook my head.

"hold this." he handed me his beer as i shook my head. he grabbed a paper plate, slapping on a couple pieces. he jumped up on the counter next to me, grabbing the beer as i watched him.

"rafe still trying to call you?"

"yeah," i pulled my phone from my pocket, showing him all the calls and texts i'd been ignoring. there was some from my brother and my parents too, but i didn't care.

"at least try to take a bite." topper lifted the piece to my mouth. i looked down at it, seeing the melted cheese and as i stared at it, my stomach started to growl.

"it does look good." i said.

"come on, you know you want a bite."

i leaned forward, taking a bite before chewing and looking at him.

"there we go," he smiled.

i shook my head, smiling at him.

"whip cream!" kelce yelled, pulling it out of the fridge before popping the top off, releasing it in his mouth.

"gross man!" topper said. "at least put it in your hand first."

"but then my hand with be sticky."

"which i'm sure you're plenty used to." i shrugged sarcastically.

"oh? you're getting funny now, huh?" he asked, walking closer.

"and what about it?"

"where's your boyfriend?"

i shrugged, "sulking."

he squirted more of the whip cream in his mouth as i looked to topper.

"you want to dance?" he asked, looking at me. "sitting in here is getting lame."

i looked over my shoulder, seeing people spread out across the living, drinking, talking and dancing.

"it's too crowded in there."

he pushed himself off the counter, holding his hand out for me.

"trust me." he said. i placed my hand in his and slid off, letting him tug me outside. we started down towards the dock.

"why are we going down here?"

"there's no one else down here," he shrugged as the song changed from some rap some to Cruel Summer by Taylor Swift.

"i love this song!" i smiled as we stopped.

"i know you do," he smiled down at me, spinning me around as i laughed.