Chapter 10 -Ryuu

Yukine sits in corner of my room. Obviously trying not to be mad at sick little me.

He was failing miserably. The doctor told him that me and Kanade had had an overdose. We were thankfully excused any police charges though..

Obviously the drugs thing is not true but I let him believe it. Better than explaining the unexplainable. Even if it meant seeing that look again.

I stay lying down fidgiting. The only logical reason that I was still in a state of abnormal exhaustion with burning skin and a nauseous stomach and Kanade wasn't was that she was an angel and I was a Demon. That shadow things bite affected me more somehow.

There's a dinging noise coming from the Inns bell downstairs and Yukine gives me a pointed look before rushing to get it.

Yukine doesn't come back up but someone else does. For some reason Kanade is standing in my doorway.

She walks over and plonks herself down wearily, eyes shut next to my bed. I sit up and look down at her in shock.

Why was she here? We weren't friends... are we?

"Boy have you missed a lot..." She states while stretching.

I look at her, her eyes closed, sitting there all relaxed and calm.

Defenceless.

It would be so easy to just kill her.

So why can't I? I could practically see myself swinging at her. Bang. Dead. With out a second to comprehend what was going on.

It was here again though. That feeling. Guilt. It was stopping me from it. Just as it had before. Way back when I let that stupid little brat go. This feeling is my undoing.

The most undemom thing. Ever.

Some guy I don't know saunters into my room. Just looking at him seems to make me mad and for some reason he appears as if he's glowing...

Kanade opens her eyes to glare at him as he sits next to her. They explain to me that this guy, Hikaru, was a spy from heaven meant to scout out our area for unusual behaviour and to protect the citizens. They told me about the war for Earth, Heaven and Hell, which I of course already new about but nodded along anyway.

Yukine brings up some snacks for us just as we start to talk about random life things.

This is when the conversation really started though. Hikaru slowly lifted his arm around Kanade. Making my stomach turn. Confidentedly, he declared that they are now dating which Kanade immediately rejects. He continued his flirting (which for some reason, Kanade seemed to not hate that much.) For at least five minutes and it was making me feel really uncomfortable and agitated. That's when he starts on me. He creeps over and puts a hand on my chin. What is wrong with this guy? I weakly push him away but he's stronger. He stays there peering at me, and forces me to look into his eyes.

If I felt violated before it was nothing compared to this. It felt as if time had stopped. I couldn't move or register anything. All I could see was two glowing orbs of light.

There were two voices that I could hear faintly in my mind.
'What did you do to him?!'
'Just watch, I bet I can get something interesting!'

The voice commands me to tell it what my deepest regrets were and I replied, without being able to stop myself.

'Being able to feel guilt, feel what I am doing is wrong. Letting that stupid kid go, instead of ignoring her, not killing Kanade.'
'Why would you kill Kanade and why didn't you?'
'Cause it would get me back home.
And I hate myself for it but the reason I couldn't cause she is innocent.'
'Why did you leave home?'
'I had to, they wouldn't let me stay after I helped that thing escape...'
'Hikaru! Stop!' The other voice joined in.
'What are you Ryuu?'
'I'm a demon.'

*Slam

Something got me out of that horrendous trance and I realised that it was Kanade standing directly in front of me, Hikaru on the floor, his eyes replaced with her soft, hurt looking blue ones.

And I realized what Hikaru had done.

They know I'm not an angel.

She knows I wanted to kill her.

They know I'm a demon...