Chapter Nine

+Braden awoke in the normal fashion the next morning. He heard his door open and Amara call to him. Still buried deep in sleep he hadn't the voice to greet her yet. Hearing the door click closed softly and her bag thud on the floor he knew it was time to wake up.

"Morning big guy."

She called closer now. He grunted into his pillow, hoping she'd just sit quietly for a moment.

"I let you sleep past eight again. Because I am nice to you."

Braden felt the bed depress beside him as she sat.

"Remember this when we have PT again."

"After nine would be preferred."

He mumbled. Turning his head out of his pillow he struggled to focus on her face. She smiled and touched his bare shoulder.

"I'll remember that for our next rest day. Did you sleep better than last night? No soreness?"

"None."

Braden turned to his side to look at her.

"But still thank you for the help yesterday. What do you have planned for us today?"

"I don't know yet. I'm playing it by ear."

Amara shrugged her shoulders turning to gaze around his room. Braden laid out on his back watching her. She gazed over at his parent's picture studying it. He reached out and gently touched her shoulder.

"You know some of my best memories I have are from my time with them. They weren't any different from other parents I knew. My grandparents told me there was just something crossed in their brains. They would go weeks-months without killing anyone. Then suddenly for a weekend they would disappear and that's when..."

He trailed his words off and sighed. Amara turned to him and said.

"They were still your parents. Regardless of what they did. How about for today we do fun stuff. You teach me to play rummy and I'll show you how to play go fish."

Braden did like that idea. Easier to keep intrusive thoughts out if he was focused on something else.

"I have cards."

"Let's go outside. It's nice out today. We can sit and eat and play cards."

Amara looked excited by her own idea. Braden nodded and looked at her.

"I'd like that."

"Good. When you are alive enough we can grab food and head outside."

He laid his head back into his pillow and sighed.

"At least you are kind enough to wait."

"I like being kind to you. Makes me feel better, and I am kind often to you."

"I would agree."

Amara fell silent then gazing at him. Braden laid his arm behind his head staring back. She inched closer to him and moved slowly to lay across his body. She leaned against him, focused on his eyes. Braden laid still just watching her. Unsure of what she was doing but would never say no to feeling her against him. She settled just staring at him, silent. Braden's ears rang out with the silence of the room, deafening. Few moments went by and she finally moved. Reaching out she ran her hand down his chest to the bed beneath him. Braden remained still under her, watching her eyes bore into his. It felt like years since either of them have spoken and she was first to break the silence.

"Bronx is doing well with Akina at his side."

She sounded matter of fact.

"He is striving."