Hand to Paw Exam

+The day of Braden's last exam had finally come. Hand to Paw King of the Hill. It would be held late in the afternoon to give students time to practice and ready themselves. He and Amara would be pitted against two other pairs to see would could keep standing the longest. Thursday all day he and Amara had practiced their fighting style. Out until well after sunset. She had asked to stay the night with him and of course he said yes. Anything to keep her calm and ready.
He awoke the morning of the last exam with Amara sprawled out on his chest. She was still fast asleep, breathing quietly. He rubbed his face then rested a hand on her back. He knew he would miss this more than anything at this school. The peace he found with her was unmatched. Not ready to go back to nightmares and empty dreams. Amara stirred on his chest and raised her head to look at him.

"You're awake before me?"

He grunted and rubbed her back.

"For once."

"Did you sleep well?"

The same question every morning they woke together made him smile.

"Yes."

"I wanted to thank you for letting me stay. I know it's not the weekend..."

"I don't mind at all."

He said shaking his head.

"I still like it too."

Amara laid her head down on his chest and sighed.

"Hard to believe it's been a whole year."

"I agree."

He mindlessly ran his hand up and down her back letting his eyes close.

"Will you write to me?"

Amara nodded against him making him smile again.

"Every day if you want. I told you before big guy, you are not getting rid of me."

"Good."

He felt her smile against his skin and hug him tight.

"Good? Are you sure you want the annoying poster child of Rodan to bother you for the rest of your life?"

Braden wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight against his chest.

"Yes, I am very sure."

Amara nuzzled into the crook of his neck and sighed softly.

"Can we lay here for a while?"

"Is that an order?"

"No."

Amara's words came out softly.

"I am asking you."

Braden started to rub her back pulling his blanket over their bodies.

"Yes we can."

"Thank you Braden. You are a good man."

><

~Amra was relaxed and ready by noontime. She and Braden had just finished lunch with Akina and Bronx. She lead Braden to the sparring ring outside the school for their exam. He was silent behind her but she could feel he was ready and calm. She looked back at him and he met her eyes.

"Yes?"

"Why were you late the first day we were paired?"

He looked confused which made her smile.

"Our first day together. You were late. You never told me why."

His expression changed to one of embarrassment as he looked away.

"It was a personal reason."

"Alone time?"

She teased laughing. Braden didn't meet her eyes as he followed her.

"I was late getting into the shower."

"Oh? Come on big guy tell me."

Braden let out a soft growl adverting his eyes to the ground he repeated himself.

"I was late getting into the shower."

"Because of alone time?"

"...yes..."

He murmured. Amara laughed and nudged him.

"That was a good reason. You could have told me that back then."

"I didn't trust you then and that's not something I go around talking about to other people."

Braden spoke finally meeting her eyes.

"Never happened again."

"No, I guess your timing got better."

She laughed watching him look away. Embarrassed.

><

+Braden and Amara were pitted against two other pairs. Brandon and Lilly were one. Cassy and Lyle were the other. Not too well known in the school but seasoned fighters. The goal was to stand atop an old large tree stump for as long as possible while the other teams fought to do the same. The passing time was ten minutes but the record was sixteen minutes. Set by Brutus and his pair Alex when he attended Rodan. Amara and Braden spoke about trying to beat the time but they both agreed it would not be the priority. The priority was to win and pass.
The stump was large enough for the both of them to stand and defend comfortably. They worked together and kept their ground on the stump. Defending with all their might from both pairs. Braden truly loved fighting alongside Amara. She knew exactly what to do and when to do it. It was like they spent years planning for any fight they were in. She was so fast and he so strong it was a perfect balance between them both. A force to be reckoned with.
Surprising everyone, including Professor Brutus, Braden and Amara defended their stump for a full twenty minutes. The whistle blew and Brutus stood below them staring up.

"Good work Wulffram. You pass."

Braden looked over at Amara who like he was panting heavily. They both threw their full strength for twenty long minutes. She smiled at him and leap down to Brutus.

"Thank you sir."

"And you crushed my own personal time."

Brutus said with a light growl in his voice.

"I am surprised but honored to have trained such strong Lycans. Here are your certifications I believe your final ones?"

"Yes sir!"

Amara said happily. Brutus nodded looked between the both of them.

"I am proud of the both of you. Your pairing will be one for the history books. I as acting teacher of this school dismiss you from class. You are free to roam the school until graduation."

"Thank you sir."

Amara shook his paw then did a back flip. Braden turned back to Brutus and said.

"Thank you sir. I am glad to have trained beneath you."

"I am too Fury. You will do this school proud."

Brutus patted his shoulder and smiled.

"Maybe return one day and join me as a Professor. I'm sure the both of us could send out some amazing Protectors."

"I agree."

><