Chapter Eleven

Amara had finally made it. Her family invite to the school sent out made it official. They would arrive on Friday and graduation would start that Saturday. She felt free now, different and bold. She wore her uniform with pride. The entire school sung with happiness. Whelps moving to Pawns finally made the air light and happy. Even the Earth seemed to shine. The weather perfect and the sun bright.
Braden was overjoyed with himself. He felt proud and accomplished. Like his life was heading in the correct direction now. He wrote to his grandparents one last time telling him how excited and proud his was, even if they never wrote back he was still happy.

~It was Thursday and she and Braden were in the mess-hall with Bronx, James, and Akina. Rejoicing over their victory together. Bronx and James sang school songs together at one end of the table as Amara spoke with Akina. Braden beside her as usual.

"So are your parents excited to meet Bronx?"

"Yes, my mom already loves him."

Akina said laughing. Amara looked over at Braden who was eating quietly.

"That's good. Least it won't be awkward or anything."

"Nah I don't think so. What are you two doing for the rest of the day? You don't have to study anymore."

Akina teased smiling. Amara looked back at her and said.

"May sleep. Now we just gotta wait until graduation and I hate waiting."

"You always were inpatient Mara."

Akina said laughing.

"I don't blame you. Well me and Bronx will be in his dorm probably for the rest of the day."

"Want to meet tonight to play cards?"

Amara offered. Akina nodded and that made Bronx come over to them.

"Only if Braden is on my team this time!"

Amara shook her head laughing at him.

"He's my pair. I get him."

"That's not fair. He's technically not your pair anymore but still my roommate!"

"Can't win on a technicality."

Amara shot back smiling at him. She looked over at Braden who just continued eating, silent.

"Besides he follows me, not you."

Bronx crossed his arm and said.

"Unfair..."

James tackled Bronx to the ground shifting Amara's attention back to Braden.

"Almost done big guy?"

"Yes."

He answered not looking up from his plate. Amara noticed he seemed a bit off today. She gathered her things when he was done and stood to leave.

"Let's go."

"Alright."

><

~Amara lead Braden back to his dorm in silence. He usually said something during their walks but today nothing. She could feel that he was tense now and upset. Like an ache in the back of her neck. Pushing open his common room door she said.

"Something is not right with you today."

He came in and sat at his table not meeting her eyes.

"Just happy I made it finally."

"Doesn't look like you are happy."

He took his bag off and sat it on the floor, silent again. Amara shut the door and sat across from him.