61

Fear Pt. II

My third session in the last month has me feeling good about myself. The thought of me successfully doing both, going to school while recording, becomes a concept closer to reality than I would have expected. Taking it a day at a time is what is working best for me. As DeVante finishes up the album, he's been getting creative in ways to work on it in a series of environments. The majority of their project was done during the time they spent in Rochester and now that he is home, he'll have clean up sessions. The focus for him is to finalize all of his mixes and masters to what he and Dalvin deem is perfect. Perfection is not always one accord for them, sadly.

As I walked down the hallway to my own rented out section, I heard a familiar bickering that is most commonly heard in my living room during a boxing match viewing on my big screen television. Ricky was put on the back burner as Nel's curiosity took control. I found myself following the yelling coming from the door being propped open by a human body appearing to be just as curious as myself.

And that was all it took to find me in my current position.

"They not necessary!"

DeVante yells back at his little brother. "What you mean they not necessary? Are you listenin'? Just listen, Dal. You talking too much. Just listen to 'em." His index finger twirls in the air as a sign for the engineer to run the recording back from the top.

During my own escapade, my extended family found themselves in the room down the hall to take the steps necessary to create a perfect mix. The track of choice is called Time & Place, I remember DeVante playing the demo for me over the phone many moons ago. In the process of doing so. My boyfriend deciding the missing link of the chain was a series of bells. His brother disagreed with the decision and had no problem speaking up... That was over an hour ago.

"You clouded it up, D. It's—"

"Nel!" My body leaps from my slouch of nearing my proper melatonin count to fall asleep on the couch beside Adrienne. Suddenly alert, my eyes shoot to my boyfriend. "Nel! Baby— Listen."

I whine, "I been listening for two hours now."

Dalvin walks across the room, sitting down on the arm of the chair next to me. My lids rest lowly over my tired eyes. DeVante's own replicate my appearance but his arguing with Dalvin and strong will to prove his point sends a jolt of electricity through his veins that makes him look wide away even as his high comes down and sleep hits him from all angles. Just as stubborn as many of my past lovers, but a lot cooler, DeVante instructs the engineer to loop the track with Jodeci's vocals silenced.

A cowbell stands in the center of a masterpiece.

"Cut that shit off, man." Dalvin blows air threw his lips, waving his brother off as he brings his energy drink to the same lips that buzzed seconds before. He's just as tired ad the rest of us but his liquid caffeine buzz is a solution he's willing to swear by.

My boyfriend points at his brother from across the room. "Shut up and let her hear it." I can feel Dalvin's leg tapping as his patience for his brother's creative dictatorship thins quite rapidly. I gently tap him, reminding him to relax. The older brother and little brother squabble isn't exclusive to the Hailey brothers. These two haven't fist fought in front of me in months and it should remain that way but I know Dalvin's patience are being tried. DeVante's in search of perfection right now and Dalvin is pretty similar when in his own environment where he is in charge. "It's hot, right?"

"I don't really think—"

"Ayo, turn 'em up some more," DeVante instructs, throwing out my opinion that he requested before I can even finish giving it to him. "Y'all trippin'."