16

Go With The Flow

"Okay but she didn't have to fucking scratch me!" I holler still annoyed about the events of three days ago.

Buffy shakes her head. "To get yanked back by the hair like that.... by Nelly? You totally have to be like a freaking demonic gargoyle or something because she is not a fighter, she's def a lover!"

"Real shit! I done seen bitches in her face talking crazy shit and she still kept her cool," Honey belts out. "That's how I got hired matter of a fact! This little bitch Crystal was talking shit and after Alexis beat her ass, she quit and pressed charges."

Honey is spitting facts. In 1985, 23-year-old Lyric was in a trailer in Orlando Florida on set of her very own music video. Crystal says some jacked up stuff about Lyric and a friend of hers. Alexis got spit on and things did not go well. Long story short, Alexis is now registered as a violent offender in the state of Florida. Lucky for her, the lawsuit and restraining order from Crystal was dropped.

Seuss walks through the door picking up the conversatiom like he had not walked out of the studio to talk on the phone moments ago, "So like, to get dragged by Nel is a big deal."

"Yes!" The girls scream in unison.

"Fuck all of that, she scratched me!" I'm not letting that go. Kim got up off that floor with a lot of nerve. In the middle of her swinging at me, DeVante pulled me back. She got one slap in as I was being pulled away. A good one at that. It left a scratch, I'll be real and admit that it stung like hell.That's okay, that's alright, we'll see one another soon. "I'm like so shocked. Like, nobody has ever wanted to fight me. Like, fight, fight me...."

Honey shrugs again. "It's life."

"Okay can y'all shut up? Damn." DeVante groans turning up the volume of the track.

I cock my head back in a slight surprise. "I didn't ask to be here. You called us!"

Spending Friday afternoons in Rochester is not my hobby of choice. There's nothing wrong with Rochester but, I would rather be doing something fun. I was dragged here by my boyfriend. The same one who told me he's going to handle Kim... I'll handle it. Anyway, like I was saying, he wanted me to hear something. He started talking so fast, I couldn't keep up. Something about crickets in Times Square. Whenever he says that I always think of... our encounter. It was ny first time and one of his favorites.

"Slow Drag." I silently giggle to myself at the thought of those events as the track blared through the speakers.

De looks over his shoulder with a smile. "You like that? You heard them crickets in the beginning?! Tight as hell, ain't it?" Shaking my head with a smile, I say nothing more.

Honey looks up at me, "Girl, what is so special about crickets? Nobody even likes crickets, they're annoying as fuck."

"Ain't none of ya' damn business– but I'm hungry! So let's moveeeeee the fuck on," laughs De as Honey swirls around in the chair next to him. She felt real special that he even let her sit anywhere remotely close to the board. She finds it fascinating. Luckily, Honey's nothing like me and she'd never get so overly excited to the point where she starts touching things that she has no business touching. I'm happy that when I was a soundboard virgin I wasn't in a position like Honey around someone like DeVante. 'Fuck around and get my feelings hurt.

Honey eyes De like she's got something on her mind. She must have something smart to say. "How come you be hella' giddy talkin' to Nel about some secretive shit but when somebody else asks you flip to a stone cold pimp," Honey playfully strokes her chin in a suspicious position of inquiry. Behind every joke is a piece of truth because she's right. He doesn't do it to Honey in particular– or anybody in the circle particularly. Though, it has been done and it's been done many, many times.