1

Just Good Friends

Our aircraft steadily comes to a slow halt, we're landing on American soil. My, how I missed the bright lights of New York. New York will always be my third home; Illinois being first and Minnesota following behind. Over time I come to realize, each location exposes a different core characteristic I hold onto. Chicago is home and I'll always exhibit family orientated pieces of myself there. Minneapolis sparks my curiosity, maybe it's the people there? Maybe it's a certain person there... I'm leaning toward that person. I always come and leave with questions... questions are the fuel to my music. Then, we have New York City; a place where the work gets done. Whenever in NYC I write, record and write more.

That's why we're here, right? For work. No, but that's why we came... along with the idea of New York being a fresh start. Okay, let's make new memories then. Thus far, we've done a mighty great job at doing exactly that.

Buffy's blonde ponytail waves underneath the air conditioning vent. "We're baaaaaaack," she sang.

"I never knew I'd like New York so much. It's always been a favorite but these days... I don't know." I sigh gathering my songbook and other materials, Buffy snickers watching me put them away. "What?" I ask with the hint of a giggle in my voice.

My personal assistant slings her left leg over her right. "Maybe, just maybe, it's not New York... maybe it's who's in New York."

Dramatically gasping, I place my hand on my chin thinking over her words. A spark of hope ignites in her eyes in hopes of being right.

"Nah!" I laugh shaking my head. "Are you on Alexis' boat with all of this?" I use my hands to create a figure eight as the shape of a situation that is peaceful in my life for once. "He doesn't even live in New York! He stays in Jersey!"

"What's this? Who's he?"

My eyes roll themselves in a full three-sixty degree of my eye sockets. "You know what this is! You know exactly what it is, Buffy!" She loves playing the dumb blonde role and that points out multiple flaws in her logic. Buffy's not dumb at all and to top that off, Buffy's got soul. She fits flawlessly in with me and all of my friends. Always has and always will.

Buffy innocently shrugs. "If we're talking about you and DeVante having a thing then... Yes, I am on Alexis' side."

"Where are these imaginary feelings coming from?" I question in honest confusion. What's a thing, huh? Can somebody tell me what qualities are needed for two FRIENDS to have a thing? Is it the sex? If so, dig up. I treat DeVante no different than JoJo, JoJo no different than Dalvin and Dalvin no different than K-Ci. It is what it is, mama.

Who listens to Alexis anyway? She's been pulling assumptions from thin air for months! Way before I knew what was coming next.

As I walked in the house, Alexis sat on the couch with a smile. "Look who finally came home after two days in the studio with DeVante." She was acting like we didn't take a couple of hour breaks to come home and shower before we went back.

"Drama queen." I shake my head.

Alexis follows me into my room talking. "You guys are cute together. I saw him laying his head on your lap when we watched that movie."

I correct her, "He had the back of his head on my knee.  That is nothing special, Alexis."

"What about you guys sitting next to each other to play Uno?" She probes.