24

Birthday Girl

Rolling over in the California King this hotel has provided me with, I look all around the room. A vase of oriental hybrid and longiflorum lilies with no card on top.  There's no secret who has gifted me with these beauties. I've been asking him since we began dating, why not roses? He feels as though roses are too simple. The first thing a man does when he is in the dog house is buy his woman roses and chocolates. My boyfriend thinks that this way, when he does.... it'll really be special. I like the way that he thinks.

On cue, the rings of my beeper echo through my suite.

Alexis rolls over at the end up of the bed with my device in her hand. She throws it in my lap. "Turn this shit off," grumbles Alexis. No worries, she's just a little hungover. Probable cause to be a little irritable this morning was gifted to her in her last cup last night upon our exit from, one of LA's favorite clubs, Glam Slam. "It's your big-eared boyfriend."

"Don't be crackin' on his ears because you're grumpy," I snap back silencing the beeper. Outwardly extending my left arm carefully, past my pot of flowers, I pick up the phone and dial the seven necessary numbers with my left index finger. Dialing down to this 201 makes me miss when he had a 212 number. He's gotten into the habit of changing his personal phone's number every six months. He swears that if you aren't around long enough to get his new number, you didn't deserve it in the first place. "Why does it take you so long to pick up the phone when you're the one who paged me," I ask the moment I hear him pick up the phone.

"Shit, I'on know!"

Kissing my teeth, I sit up the bed. See, I'm awake now. I pick up the phone and begin carrying it the longest distance it can go, to the table outside the bathroom door, before relying on the stretch of the chord to make it to the sink with me so that I may have the ability to brush my teeth. "How'd you know I was awake?" I question, pulling the tube of toothpaste out of a box I had set on the counter.

"You think I don't know your schedule? Why you got to ask so many questions?"

"I rather question than assume," I smartly reply shoving my toothbrush into my mouth.

DeVante's lips smack, the sound carries a bite-size, little ring in my left ear. "Okay, since you putting objects in your mouth–"

My toothpaste filled mouth struggles to articulate his name all together without spitting all over the sink. I scream out, "De!" His laughter simply proves his immaturities aren't going anywhere any time soon. I can't complain too much, I've dealt with worse in my time.

"Look, though! Is you listening," He probes.

I energetically hum. I genuinely do want to hear what it is that he has to say. "Mhm."

"Ah shit, I forgot what I was gone say!" Rolling my eyes with a slight giggle escaping my lips, all I can do is shake my head as I brush a smile he accidentally brought up on my face. "I forgot what I was gone say.... damn." Patiently waiting to see if he'll recall his thought, I continue brushing my teeth. "Fuck it. Anyway, when you coming home?"

Holding the phone away from my mouth, I spit and rinse before placing it back to my ear. "Uhm, tomorrow I think?"

"Ai'ight, you gone come down to my spot," he rhetorically asks. "I got somethin' for the birthday girl– Oh! Happy Birthday, baby!"

Covering my shades of red with my right hand as if someone can see me, I laugh aloud. "I see you found your thought." My feet keep me gliding across the carpet as I pick the phone back up. "Thank you," I cheese crawling back into the bed. "How'd you get the flowers in here?"