28

5 Year Plan

I stand particularly still as Ms. K removes dozens and dozens of flower petals from my semi-nude body. Eyes closed, I listen to a calming song by the name of 8, brought to you by Madhouse. A loud squeal is heard down the hall and my eyes snap open. Honey skips in with a tape with her hand, grinning from ear to ear.

"De's dropped off his new mix," she cheekily grins.

"Shit, put it in!"

She ejects the previous tape as fast as she can in order to slip the small rectangular music carrier into its rightful place. A click is heard before the groove starts, allowing Honey's face to contort as she sways her hips with a sharp rock. I'd heard it already but the love my hairstylist has for my boyfriend's work should not be interrupted. Honey dips low and brings it back up with a wide, toothy grin from ear to ear. "Heyyyy!" She continuously chants. "Hold up, I'm feeling a switch up coming!"

Her eyes widen in anticipation of his expected solo. "He can make you say oooh." Another loud squeal exits her chest in a sense of only the purest of all excitement. I laugh helping Ms. K remove these dumbass petals. I didn't think of all of the pros and cons of doing this floral themed shoot. Lucky for me, I've got two more shoots to do and I'll be completely finished... for good. No, in fact, I doubt for good. I will be done for now though.

"Keep it slow, and make it eas-ayyy," I sing to myself quietly as Ms. K continues removing flower petals off of my body. When she pulls one off of my side, I wince at the feeling of my skin being snatch due to the bonding of the body glue.

Honey sighs, coming down from her climax, falling into a chair that sits closest to her. "Ya' boyfriend's the shit." Swiping a strand of hair from my face, I laugh at her melodramatics. "What's that?" Honey questions pointing at my finger. Phi snickers while digging through her makeup bag. "What'd I miss?" Here she goes thinking that because she hasn't been to New York in over a month or two that things have drastically changed.

"She's enag–"

Sternly pointing in my makeup artists direction, I make sure that I set the record straight. "I'm not engaged." Phi's laughter carries through the room.

"What if you were though?"

My head shakes. "I don't wanna' talk about this." And just like that, the conversation is easily put to rest.

The girls giggles and mumble their goodbyes as they pack up. I smile as they depart until I'm left alone with Ms. K. It's gotten to the point where I don't even refer to her as Lisa anymore. I know way too many Lisa's, you know? Although, I know Ms. K the best of all Lisa's, vice versa. "I've haven't seen you this swoon since..." She trails off with a knowing look in her expression. "Well, you know."

"I do."

Ms. K says, "Young love, it's nice to see you not be too timid to try again. I do recall you having harder time in the beginning."

"I did."

"DeVante's a nice, handsome one too."

I giggle, "That's what they all say until they're stuck sitting next to him in the car and have to listen to him talk about every single detail of The Godfather from their clothing to the wording of their sentences."

She laughs, swiping her brunette bangs out of her eyes. In this moment, she looks exactly like her daughter, Mary. It's kind of scary because whenever you see the pictures, Mary looks exactly like her father. "You're happy, it's amazing to see."

"Mhm..."

She steps back from me with a giggle, looking me up and down. "Who is going to have to tell you for you to believe that you can't mess this up." I shrug my shoulders as my personal designer reads me like a headline in the newspaper. "I'll tell you first hand, as a divorced mother, you can't mess up anything unless you intentionally and deliberately do the wrong thing."