Chapter 19: Torn by Pride

~~ A/N: I can't believe it's been over a year since I updated... I'm so sorry to the people who actually still want to read this story.~~

"Astrid--," Merida started and took a step forward.

"Save it," Astrid demanded.

She raised her hand and looked away. Merida bit her lip and took a step back. Hiccup squeezed her hand and gently pulled her back.

"Let's go ahead into the dining hall," Hiccup suggested.

Merida quickly glanced at Astrid before turning to him and nodding.

"I ordered some people to help the injured, and asked all the Lords and Rulers to gather. I tried to explain a bit of what happened, but not every representative was present," Merida told him. "My parents weren't at least, so they'll want an explanation as well." 

The two walked back to the dining hall leaving Astrid and Ryan at the stairs. Astrid took a deep breath and sighed to compose herself. Young MacIntosh hesitated to place a hand on Astrid's shoulder. His fingers had barely grazed her dress's shoulder armor before he quickly retracted his hand in surprise when she turned her head to look at him. His eyes grew wide, and his mouth stood slightly agape not knowing what to say.

"You've probably already pieced together what happened," Astrid told him in an almost annoyed tone.

"Umm, I-" his voice cracked in the middle of his replied, "*Cough* Should we get going?" He asked and led the way.

Astrid furrowed her eyebrows. She had expected him to gasp in surprise and ask some questions. She didn't expect him to make a big show of asking, but she at least thought he would try to console her. She would have punched him if he tried to give her any pity, obviously, but it would have still been nice if he had acknowledged the situation. He obviously needed some help in knowing how to console people. She furrowed her eyebrows slightly as she followed him down the stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The situation in the dining hall wasn't any less tense than the one near the stairs.

"Hiccup?" Valka whispered as she saw her son and Merida come in together.

Her eyes quickly flashed between their intertwined hands and their sheepish faces. Everyone else seemed to notice, but the pair continued their trek toward her. There was a certain word that came across everyone's minds who knew of the Hairy Hooligan Tribe's Chief's relationship status prior to that day. A word that would surely harm the Princess's reputation sooner or later.

The young lords and ladies were still gathered together when they saw the Merida and Hiccup walk in together.

"Are the Princess and Hiccup holding hands?" Kirsteen asked.

"Aye, I think this just got a lot more interesting," Catriona replied.

"This is great! Now there's no way the rest won't come back," Iseabail replied, excitement bubbling in her voice. "And our parents won't be able to oppose us being with them!"

She noticed a few smirks and quickly added, "As friends! We can be friends with them... and not be scolded."

"Bit they were also freens wi his finacee," Young MacGuffin added.

"That's true, they might not want to come back out of loyalty for General Hofferson," Aileas told the rest of the group.

"Honestly, Iseabail, it's as if ye don't know Da. He'll never accept us being friends with them," Catriona slightly scolded her sister.