Chapter 1: An Invitation

"Merida, I need to discuss somethin' important with ye," Fergus told his daughter before she could run off into the forest.

    "Aye, Da. What is it?" she asked.

    "As ye know, ye broke the arranged marriage tradition 4 years prior," Fergus started.

    "How could I forget? It's not everyday you turn more than half of yer family into bears," Merida replied and chuckled.

    "Well, ye broke that tradition, but there's still another one. A tradition ye might not be able break," Fergus began to explain.

"I probably could," Merida mused and started devising plans.

"I doubt it, Lass. This is the one about ye needing to be married before takin' the crown," Fergus told her and held his breath waiting for her response.

    "That's in less than a year! Besides, why can't I rule by m'self?" Merida asked him exasperated.

    "Ye'll be the ruler but yer King Consort will be the diplomat, ye know that. The rule is that if yer not married before the age to take the crown ye can't become queen and the oldest married of the Lords' children will take over," Fergus explained.

    "Well, that's a stupid rule! Why can't we change it?" Merida huffed.

    "Because it just so happens that the Lords all have younger sons or daughters who are either courtin' or engaged. They're not going to want to change that rule. Besides, if we change it without their consent a war could break out," Fergus argued.

    "How am I supposed to get married to the love o' my life within a year?" Merida asked before quickly adding. "Because I will certainly not marry if love is not involved."

    "How come ye dinnae say 'find' the love o' yer life?" he asked suspicious.

    "What do ye mean?" Merida asked. "That's exactly what I said, Da."

    "Could it be that my dear daughter already has someone in mind?" the king asked and looked her in the eye.

    "Who could I have in mind?" Merida quickly snapped and turned away from him.

    "As a matter o' fact I did think o' someone fer ye. A certain lad ye used to know, what was his name?" Fergus asked and feigned innocence. "A wee lad as small as a lamb."

    "Hiccup?" Merida asked incredulous.

    "Ah, so ye dae remember Hiccup?" Fergus asked.

    "A-aye— so?! What are ye gettin' at, Da?" Merida rambled before regaining her composure.

    "I noticed that certain sketches of ye and him went missing from the library. Then, I just so happened to find one lyin' on your bedroom floor," Fergus explained with nonchalance.

    "Ye went through my stuff?!" Merida asked.

    "No, no, Lass. I was looking for ye when I found it. Perhaps ye want it back since it seems, so important to ye," Fergus teased and got the sketch out.

    "Ha!" Merida scoffed, "Who says that it's important to me?"

She turned away from him and crossed her arms.

    "Then I guess I can burn it," Fergus told her. "Since it's so insignificant."

    "Nae, don't!" Merida spun around and exclaimed while trying to take it from his hands.

    "I'll give it to ye if just tell me the truth lassie," Fergus coaxed.

    "I don't want to marry him or anythin'! I just— I just remembered how much fun we used to have before. We were each other's best friends. I guess that I just never thought o' how lonely I felt without him," Merida explained with slight frustration.