Chapter 18: Mend the Bond

~Upstairs~

As soon as Astrid and Stormfly arrived at Castle Dunbroch, Astrid jumped off and ran inside with her axe in hand. She would have immediately left the Scottish land—never to return again— but she felt far too close to Valka to leave without ensuring her safety.

She snuck around the corners, careful to not be seen until she realized she was furious and would love to fight someone before leaving. Unfortunately, Odin was not on her side.

Everyone was far too busy helping the injured to notice her outside and it almost seemed deserted inside. Almost. There was a lot of commotion coming from the dining area and no matter how angry Astrid felt she knew she'd be at a disadvantage in that battle— even if Stormfly managed to get in to help.

She ran past the dining area and up the stairs. She thought no one had seen her pass by.

"Valka?" Astrid called once she was on the second floor.

No one seemed to be around. She made her way to the end of the hall— where the girl's guest room was— and opened the door.

"Astrid," Someone called from behind her.

It seemed like someone did notice her after all. Someone Astrid had gotten to know a bit in only one day. Astrid gripped the handle of her axe tightly before turning around, ready to strike.

Ryan MacIntosh stood in front of her with his hands open. His kilt was tattered and hastily knotted together with his tartan on both sides of his hip. The sight almost made Astrid smirk in amusement. He must have ripped it to get out of Stormfly's spikes.

"I don't want to fight ye," Ryan told her.

His eyes didn't hold an ounce of fear for his safety, instead they held some sort of anxiety. They pleaded with Astrid to listen.

"You mean you can't fight me," Astrid scoffed.
"What very little you know, I taught you."

Their little sparring lesson from earlier flashed through Ryan's mind. When he didn't reply Astrid got annoyed.

"I'm just looking for Valka, have you seen her?" Astrid asked him through gritted teeth.

"Hiccup's Mamaidh?" He asked for confirmation.

She tried to keep her glare steady, but his name made her emotions get the best of her. She tilted her head down to make her hair cover her eyes. Astrid did not cry. Especially not in front of the enemy.

"Why? Listen. The fight is over, Lord DingWall wasn't to blame. If you come down with me—," Astrid placed the blade of her axe closer to his neck cutting off his suggestion.

"Why would I? So you can turn me in to your Princess?" Astrid sneered the last word before giving a bitter chuckle. "You should have stayed down where Stormfly pinned you."

Without looking up she pulled her arm back to strike him with the axe's handle. He gently grabbed her arm making her look up in surprise. He was looking to the side almost as if thinking about something.

"Turning ye into my princess does seem rather appealing," he wistfully mumbled before chuckling. "I'm just kidding, please don't hit! And don't tell Hiccup or else he and—."

He turned to look at her who, at the very mention of Hiccup's name again, began to waver. He let go of her hand and grabbed her face, pulling her slightly closer. She accidentally dropped her axe when she was dumbfounded by his actions.

"Yer eyes are all red. Have ye been crying?" He asked.

His concerned-filled eyes scared her. She let a few tears slip before she did the only thing that came naturally. She pulled his hands away from her face and pulled him closer. The moment her knee made contact with his stomach she pushed him inside the room and closed the door.