Chapter 22: From the Heart

Astrid told the group what happened, albeit a condensed version of it: Hiccup and her broke up and Hiccup and Merida are now married.

"Woah, woah, wait, a minute--I don't think I'm following," Fishlegs said while massaging his temple. "Could you please give us more details?"

"Merida and I are together now," Hiccup replied.

"We sort o' eloped, without the runnin' away part," Merida added.

"While we were fighting that wizard, I was injured, like, really bad. We thought I wouldn't make it. But Merida had these magic rings, she saved me. They only work if love is what ties the two people wearing the rings. Well, as you can see they worked. Heh. Merida wanted to forget about it to spare Astrid's feelings, but it just felt right to me. I didn't mean for Astrid to find out the way she did. She saw us, and tried to leave, but I caught up with her and we talked it over. She sort of forgives me," Hiccup explained while glancing at Astrid who met his gaze, but turned away. 

He then turned his head to look at Merida before continuing, "Ryan said we could end the marriage before sunrise tomorrow, but we didn't want to. I don't want to let her go."

"Okay, recap time," Ruffnut told them.

"So. You two aren't engaged anymore," Heather repeated and pointed at Hiccup and Astrid.

"Because you found those two canoodling," Snotlout added while pointing at Hiccup and Merida.

"Canewdoling?" Merida whispered confusedly.

"What does that even mean?" Hiccup asked.

"And now you two are married," Ruffnut ignored the question and continued.

"But you said it's not official 'til sunrise," Eret said and pointed at Young MacIntosh.

"But you don't want to break it off?" Fishlegs finished by asking Merida and Hiccup.

Merida and Hiccup held hands and shook their heads. The rest of the group nodded slowly letting an awkward silence take over. They had a lot to say about the ordeal, but no one felt like it was their place to say anything. Well, except one.

"You're kidding me right? I can understand why Astrid fell for you with Toothless and all, but Princess, what do you see in him?" Snotlout asked in disbelief.

Heather slapped the back of his head making his helmet fall off.

"Okay, maybe, that was uncalled for," Snotlout groaned and rubbed his head.

"You think? And, you're supposed to be my cousin," Hiccup replied with a slight pout.

"Hic makes me feel safe, and happy. I knew him since we were kids, and although we were separated for years, and we forgot about each other for a while, the moment I saw him on the ship I felt exactly the same as I did back then," Merida answered then turned to look directly at Hiccup before finishing. "Like I would do anything to make him happy."

Not even Astrid could stop herself from smiling at her statement. In that moment, she knew that he was in good hands, and felt a sense of relief wash over her. Ryan noticed her relaxed posture and smiled.

"Alright, enough of that mushy love fest, let's head back," Astrid told everyone, her voice sounding much lighter than before.

"Alright. Eret! Looks like it's your lucky day. You get to take me back," Ruffnut declared and clung to his arm.

"What? Skullcrusher doesn't like having other people on him, and don't you have your own dragon?" Eret made excuses while trying to push her off.