Chapter 15: Memories and Strategies

"You made us all worry when you ran off," Hiccup told Merida as he poked the fire.

"I'm sorry. I just needed some fresh air. I guess I lost track of time. I was irresponsible," Merida apologized.

"No, sometimes you need time to think things through," Hiccup replied. "Leaders should be allowed to feel too, you know?"

Merida could tell he was remembering something by the way his eyes seemed to look past the fire. She put her hand on his shoulder.

"When my dad... died and I thought I had lost Toothless I wanted to grieve. The Gods know I wanted to grieve," Hiccup chuckled sadly, "But I had to lead. I had to show everyone that everything was going to be okay. They needed me."

Toothless folded his ears down and nudged Hiccup. Merida squeezed his shoulder. Hiccup put his hand on top of her's.

"I let a few tears fall," he continued, " Then it was back to business. I had no time to grieve after. When we beat Drago Bludvist I had to work hard as the new chief."

His nose turned red and Merida could see his eyes watering. He swallowed and picked his hand toward his eyes, trying to stop himself from crying.

"Don't," Merida stopped him.

His smile wavered as he cried. Merida could feel her own eyes burning.

"Ye know... when we were kids we would run all around the castle. One day I fell on the stairs and scraped my knee. Ye were so worried," Merida chuckled lightly at the memory. "I told ye that I was fine and ran into my room. You followed me and saw that I was crying. I was mad when ye saw me. I didn't want to be seen as weak... Ye walked over and sat beside me. Do ye remember what ye told me?"

Hiccup looked at her and shook his head.

Merida smiled, "Ye pinched yourself and started crying. I thought ye were crazy. Ye said that I wouldn't be seen as weak if we were both crying. That's the logic of a wee babe isn't it?"

"I see I was very thoughtful even as a child," Hiccup sniffed and playfully boasted.

Merida chuckled and shoved him slightly. They both wiped their tears with their free hands. Merida noticed that they were still holding hands.

"Do you know what you want to do now?" Hiccup asked, making her break her gaze from their hands to his eyes.

"Aye. I'll just have to find him and charge him with witchcraft," Merida told him and pulled her hand away from his to push her hair back.

"How do you prove that?" Hiccup asked.

"That's where my plan fails," Merida sighed.

Hiccup put a hand on Merida's forehead.

"You feel a little warmer now, I think it's time to go," he told her. "Wait, you're getting hotter."

Merida could feel her face flare up. She quickly stood up and cleared her throat.

"We've been 'ere long enough. We should head back," Merida said and walked away from the fire and toward Angus.

"Are you sure you're alright now? I don't want you passing out or something," Hiccup asked.

Merida looked at her hands. She could barely close them, but she needed to get back.

"Aye, let's go," she got on Angus albeit slower than usual.

Hiccup frowned slightly but got on Toothless nonetheless. Toothless used his tail to put the fire out.

"Merida," Hiccup called her.