Chapter 11: Misunderstandings

~~~ In the ground-level floor~~~

"Astrid is quite a catch. She packs a mean right hook," Ryan commented.

"That she does," Hiccup agreed.

"When did you realize you liked her?" Ryan questioned.

"Well, what is there not to like? She's beautiful, loyal, strong, and brave," Hiccup replied.

He opened a door and looked inside before closing it. Young MacIntosh closed the door opposite of him.

"Sounds a lot like the Princess," he commented.

"I've been meaning to talk to you about that," Hiccup replied.

"You wish to talk about Merida?" Ryan asked.

"See, that's what I'm talking about. Astrid is like the most sought-after female viking on Berk and many other islands for that matter. I know all those tricks," Hiccup retorted.

"What tricks?" Ryan asked.

"Those tricks. You know, where you try to flirt with Astrid to make her fall for you," Hiccup replied.

"Astrid is amazing, but I'd never deliberately try to take her away from you," Ryan replied seemingly hurt from Hiccup's comment.

"Yeah, sure," Hiccup said.

Toothless sniffed around, pushing some doors open.

"I'm being honest Hiccup," Young MacIntosh tried to clarify. "I have a reputation as a handsome and charming suitor. I flirt, but that's it. The moment I saw Astrid I knew she was loyal. I hadn't realized it made you uncomfortable, I'll stop at once."

"Really?" Hiccup asked.

He had never seen someone step down so quickly. It wasn't because he was weak, or afraid, it was because Ryan, despite not seeming it, was quite noble. Ryan nodded.

"Thanks," Hiccup mumbled. "You're not like other princes."

"A self-centered show off? I'd have to disagree, even I can see that, but thanks," Ryan replied.

They continued to look through all the doors, but couldn't seem to find any trace of the blue-eyed Frenchman.

~~Upstairs~~

"I know what I did was bad. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love pranking people, but I didn't mean to embarrass her," Tuffnut tried to reason. "I want to apologize. She didn't look as mad as everyone usually is, she actually looked kind of sad."

Callum continued to guard the door. He couldn't hold a scowl, but his neutral stare was enough for even Barf and Belch to stay back.

"Callum, please come in I need some help!" They heard Aileas say from inside the room.

Callum got off the door and turned around giving Tuffnut just enough room to squeeze through and close the door on him. He locked it and turned around only to stop in his tracks.

"Callum, I need you to tighten my corset up," Aileas said without turning around.

"Isn't that painful?" Tuffnut asked.

Aileas shrieked, covered herself with the dress she was holding, and turned around to face the intruder. Callum pounded on the door from the other side. Tuff covered his eyes but faced her anyway.

"Get out!" she yelled.

"I just came to say I was sorry," Tuff replied.

"By coming in here while I'm getting dressed!?" Aileas accused.