Chapter 21: Bringing Them Back

The four young adults and two dragons flew through the air in search of their friends. Stormfly had only caught a faint whiff of their scent, because it had rained making tracking more difficult. Fortunately, they saw light coming from one of the islands. It didn't seem like there were any ships from where they were, so they thought it could be their friends. 

Astrid, Ryan, and Stormfly flew higher up while Toothless, Hiccup, and Merida circled the island. They hid in the shadows just above the trees in search of any ships that could belong to someone else.

"I see them!" Astrid yelled and made Stormfly roar as a signal for Toothless.

Their friends were all huddled around a fire with their dragons surrounding them for warmth and protection. When they heard Astrid's voice and Stormfly's roar they all looked up, trying to see them in the dark. Stormfly flew down, trying to find a spot to land.

"Astrid! What took you so long?" Tuffnut asked.

"What happened back there?" Heather added.

"Where's Valka and Hiccup?" Fishlegs asked worried.

"That was definitely the worst party we've ever been invited to!" Ruffnut complained.

Stormfly let go of Ryan who landed on his face and skidded a bit on the ground. Thankfully, it was on a muddy spot, so his landing was softer than he thought it would be. 

"You kidnapped one of them?" Fishlegs squeaked.

"Astrid, I didn't know you had it in you," Ruffnut laughed. "So what are we going to do with him? Make him a servant? Oh! He can clean the dragon stalls."

"I'm fine thanks for asking," Young MacIntosh groaned as he sat up and tried to wipe all the mud off of him.

"I don't think he'd survive that," Astrid replied and rummaged through her sack.

She turned back to see him desperately trying to get the mud out of his hair. She definitely pegged him as the type to care more about his hair then his well being. She stopped herself from laughing and threw her costrel filled with water at him. He barely managed to catch it before it hit his stomach.

"No one has been kidnapped," Hiccup said as soon as he landed. 

He unhooked his foot and got off Toothless. He was about to give Merida a hand down, but she had already jumped off. It was easier than getting off of Angus for her.

"Umm, how are ye guys doing?" Merida asked with an embarrassed smile.

"What is she doing here?" Eret asked, then gave him a sly smile. "Don't tell me she's a bargaining chip. Hiccup, I thought you were a good guy."

"Umm, obviously no to the kidnapping thing, " Hiccup replied, slightly offended. "We just came to explain what happened and bring you guys back."

"Excuse me? Take us back where exactly? Because they clearly showed that we're not welcomed there," Heather huffed. Ruffnut, Snotlout, and Eret grumbled in agreement but Tuffnut, and Fishlegs remained silent.

"It was all a misunderstanding," Merida began to explain, "The sorcerer made Lord Dingwall attack ye, and the rest o' the Lords just joined in because they saw that the fighting was serious."

Everyone turned to Hiccup and Astrid for confirmation. Hiccup placed his hand on Merida's shoulder and nodded. Merida suddenly became acutely aware of their close proximity and how it must look that Astrid was the furthest away from him. She could feel their eyes staring at his hand and hers. The silver band must be glistening due to the light of the fire. If she wasn't trying to bring them back she would have wrapped her arms around him and stared back in defiance.