Chapter 3: A Long Awaited Reunion

"Alright everyone, so apparently you came just in time. My mum will be hosting a sort of convention where young people our age will come and have fun the day after tomorrow, although I don't know for how long" Merida explained.

"Oh really? And why's that?" Valka asked.

"Well, a few years back it was decided that the children of the Lords and the King and Queen would decide whom to marry instead of them all having to fight for my hand or have their parents choose," Merida answered.

"And did you know about this before inviting us?" Astrid asked.

"No, I didn't. She told me the day we got your reply," Merida replied. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason," Astrid crossed her arms and shook her head. Hiccup noticed something was off and walked a bit slower to join Astrid's side.

"Hey, are you okay? You seem..." Hiccup struggled to find the right words.

"I seem what?" Astrid asked.

"Like your old self, you know? Not easily impressed and a bit temperamental," Hiccup finished albeit cautiously.

"I'm not, I just don't trust her," Astrid admitted and glared at the back of Merida's head.

Just then Merida turned around and smiled at both of them. Astrid stopped glaring and waved back. Once Merida turned away her face returned to a scowl.

"Oh yeah, she's quite a menace," Hiccup sarcastically agreed.

"She seems stuck up," Astrid told him.

"Well, she can't be stuck up if she was my friend back then," Hiccup reasoned.

"Or she was just using you, you said so yourself, you don't even remember her," Astrid argued.

"Be that as it may, what are you trying to say? Without Toothless no one could like hanging around the talking fishbone?" Hiccup asked her slightly hurt at her accusation.

"What? No, I didn't mean it like that," Astrid tried to apologize.

"No, no it's alright. I'll be on guard if that's what you want," Hiccup interrupted and walked ahead until he was in the middle of the group. Once they made it to the inside of the castle Merida beckoned them into the throne room.

"Alright, everyone. My parents are right outside in the stables. You should all stand looking towards the door with the Hairy Hooligan tribe flag. Valka, if you please, could you stay behind everyone and once my parents come in everyone moves out of the way so that my mum can see you?" Merida asked.

"Of course, Princess," Valka replied. Merida blushed slightly from embarrassment.

"Please, just call me Merida," Merida replied. She heard footsteps outside and quickly got everyone ready.

"Fergus, what is this?" Elinor laughed while blindly walking forward because of Fergus' hands covering her eyes.

"Surprise!" Merida and Fergus exclaimed once Fergus let Elinor see. Elinor gasped and looked from the group to the flag and finally to Hiccup.

"Hiccup? My, how you've grown," Elinor whispered and walked closer to him.

"You remind me of your mother," she told him and smiled.

"Funny, you should say that," Hiccup replied and moved out of the way. Valka stood behind him, smiling at her old friend.

"Valka? But I thought," Elinor covered her mouth and cried from joy before running to her best friend and hugging her.