Chapter 7: Let the Festivities Commence!

"That's a lot of people," Tuffnut commented.

"Yeah, we tend to bring the most people possible to events," Merida told him.

"Especially the Lords," she teased and nudged Ryan.

"I can't argue there," Ryan chuckled in agreement.

Hiccup cleared his throat and asked, "So, where do we go to give the speeches?"

"Right, follow me," Merida instructed them.

They followed her through the crowds of people, booths, and small areas with different events. They made it to the small shaded stage where Merida watched her suitors shoot for her hand. Somehow her parents were already there. She noticed that there was another empty chair beside her own.

"Merida, come on and sit," her mom called and beckoned her on stage.

She excused herself and climbed on stage. Ryan MacIntosh decided to use that opportunity to investigate some things.

"So, Hiccup was it? How is your relationship with Astrid? I heard you two were getting married," Young MacIntosh asked him.

"Yeah, we are. I would say our relationship is strong and filled with trust, why?" Hiccup asked.

"How'd you two start dating?" Ryan asked curiously.

"Oh, you should have seen them. Astrid was like a dragon killing prodigy while Hiccup was dubbed the walking disaster. After Hiccup managed to tame a Night Fury she started to treat him nicer. Then, it was a few years of awkward flirting before either of them admitted their feelings," Tuffnut answered for him.

"So she liked you because you showed her your strength," Ryan mused.

"Well, I guess you could say that but-" Hiccup tried to find a way to explain it thoroughly but Merida called him.

"Hiccup! Come on, you have to sit beside me," she smiled and patted the chair beside her.

"Merida is quite beautiful, isn't she?" Ryan asked as Hiccup walked to the stage.

Hiccup blinked in confusion but sat beside Merida regardless.

"Just talk about how you hope Vikings and Scots can form a union based on this, then introduce me, and you'll be fine," Merida whispered to him.

"How do you want me to introduce you? "Princess Merida", just that?" Hiccup asked.

"Good question, how about 'And now your strong-willed princess', sounds about right, eh?" Merida asked him.

"Everyone gather around!" Fergus commanded.

Many people stopped what they were doing and walked as close to the stage as they possibly could.

"We have special guests here today, who would like to say a few words," Queen Elinor presented Hiccup and stepped back.

"Hi- Hello everyone, I'm Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, chief of the Hairy Hooligan tribe, and I think that I speak for my entire tribe when I say that I hope this will lead to...umm... stronger ties between two former enemies," Hiccup started off great but as he looked around he got nervous, especially when he looked at Ryan who pointed between Merida and Hiccup like there was something there.

"And now your beautiful Princess-I mean strong willed- Not that she's not beautiful, because she is... Princess Merida," Hiccup quickly added and made a weird motion to show Merida was speaking next.

Merida blushed from embarrassment but got up regardless.

"I know many of you may feel that an alliance between us and the Vikings could never be true, but it has. We must put aside our differences and what better way than with our youth? The young adults present here are the future of our vast country, so I hope that you will all enjoy this festival," Merida spoke using every lesson her mother had taught her.