Chapter 9: Tuff Break

Merida looked past Hiccup and saw the one thing she was hoping she wouldn't. She saw 6 full heads of hair, 3 red, 1 brown, 1 black, and 1 blond with a helmet and horns on top, running in the direction of the stables.

"Hiccup, do yer dragons get startled easily?" Merida asked him.

"Sometimes, usually you would have to be a complete stranger, why?" he replied while watching Astrid teach.

"Tuffnut, my brothers, and Ryan's brother and sister are heading towards the stables," Merida replied.

"What?" Hiccup asked and looked at her.

"Let's just go stop them before they burn the festival down," Merida told him before pulling him along.

They ran as fast as they could while trying not to push the people around them. Merida had to pull her dress up so as to not trip over it. They were almost at the stables when Merida's mom called to them.

"Merida! Hiccup! There's someone here who would like to introduce themselves," Queen Elinor told them.

They stopped running and turned around. The queen was walking alongside a young man. He was definitely not Scottish based solely on the fact that he dressed with a sense of refinement.

"How do you do Princess?" the man greeted and bowed down to her. 

'Definitely French,' Merida thought. She looked at her mom and noticed her eyes seemed to be a bit foggy.

"Fine. Umm, sorry to be rude but we really must be going," Merida excused herself awkwardly.

She turned away, grabbed Hiccup, and sighed before running toward the stables.

"That wasn't awkward at all," Hiccup commented.

"Mum used to look for potential suitors for me. I don't want it to start again," Merida replied.

Hiccup sensed the annoyance in her voice. She must have really hated it.

"I understand that you don't want to be forced into anything, but are you thinking about getting married?" Hiccup asked. "I mean, if you found someone, would you marry them?"

"Aye. I would if I could. I was only 16 when they fought for my hand, so of course, I didn't want to be tied down just yet. Now, I'm fond of the idea, but it'll never happen," Merida replied without looking at him.

"How come? If you don't mind telling me," Hiccup asked.

"The only one I've ever been interested in isn't interested in me," Merida replied.

"Well, I'm sure if you-"

"Look out!" Merida warned and tackled him to the ground.

They covered their heads as Meatlug, Stormfly, Hookfang, and Barf and Belch flew through the stable doors.

"Tuff what are you doing?" Hiccup asked.

"We're on a very important mission!!" Tuffnut declared.

"Please don't say-" Hiccup sighed.

"For Loki!/For Loki," Tuffnut declared while Hiccup groaned.

"Get off of them before you get hurt!" Hiccup told the kids.

"Are you kidding? This is the most fun I've ever had!" Lillias replied from Hookfang and giggled.

Merida's brothers nodded in agreement while Graeme remained quite. He looked a bit pale as he held on tight to Meatlug.