Chapter 4: Forgotten Visitors

The next day Merida awoke, knowing that something important was going to happen but she couldn’t quite remember what. She decided to feed Angus before going to check up on Hiccup to see if he wanted to spend time with her. She made it to the stables and noticed it was messy so she decided to clean it and Angus up.

    “I didn’t know Princesses cleaned,” Hiccup commented from in front of the stable.

“Goes to show that I’m not your average Princess,” Merida replied.

“I see. I already explained to your parents the situation with our dragons and I was wondering if you would like to come with us to bring them here? Your mom said they could stay here with the horses as long as they aren’t frightened,” Hiccup informed her.

“I’d love to! Has everyone else already left for the docks?” Merida asked after she finished feeding Angus.

“Yeah, we could catch up to them if we run,” Hiccup told her.

“I’ve got a better idea,” Merida replied.

“Umm, are you sure about this? I’ve never ridden a horse before, we don’t even have them back on Berk,” Hiccup asked worried.

“You have ridden a horse before, you’ve just forgotten. Besides, you fly with large, scary dragons, this should be easy for you,” Merida teased him.

“Yeah, but on Toothless I have straps to keep me on, and I’ve gotten used to flying in the air. Keeping myself on the ground however,” Hiccup voiced his worries.

“Don’t worry, just hold on tight,” Merida instructed before making Angus run off towards the docks.

Hiccup found that it did feel almost the same as riding on a dragon. Merida “Woo”-ed happily and Hiccup joined in by laughing. Soon enough they passed everyone else and made it to the docks.

“Looks like we beat them!” Merida cheered.

“I didn’t know it was a competition,” Hiccup retorted.

“Everything’s a competition if you believe,” Merida replied.

“Isn’t it ‘Everything is possible if you believe’?” Hiccup asked and chuckled.

“Eh, same thing. Now can you please show me your dragons?” Merida asked excitedly.

“I don’t see why not,” Hiccup replied.

Hiccup proceeded to show Merida all the dragons everyone had, and even told her about the battle against Drago Bludvist. By the time the rest of the group made it there Hiccup had given Merida a mini lesson on dragons and let her hold the Book of Dragons.

“Please be very careful with it Princess,” Fishlegs pleaded once everyone else made it to the docks.

“I've already told ye, call me Merida, and don’t worry, I won’t let anything happen to it,” Merida reassured him.

“Hey Princess, you expecting more people?” Snotlout asked her.

Merida was confused and raised an eyebrow. She then followed his gaz and turned towards to ocean. She saw three distinct ships with the flags she used to dread.

“The Lords! I had completely forgotten!” Merida exclaimed. She paced a bit before quickly thinking of a plan.

“Alright, we need to cover up the Hairy Hooligan Tribe flag and your dragons. If they see them they might think we’re under attack and fight you,” Merida instructed.

“Yeah, what makes you think we’ll listen to you?” Tuffnut asked.

“Because if you don’t you’ll be the first to be skinned alive,” Merida replied sweetly.