Chapter 12: A Chaotic Meeting

"They're out of control!" A man yelled.

"Who do they think they are coming into our home and putting our families at risk!?" Another agreed.

"But the Princess said—"

"The Princess was in danger because of them! How can we trust people reckless enough to let children ride those monstrous creatures?"

"My Lord, I'm afraid of what could happen to our children, mayhaps you could speak with the Alpin monarchs," a lady carrying a young child begged her husband.

"We'll get to the bottom of this, don't worry," he reassured her.

"Everyone! We must do this in a civil way. We'll get all the representatives and conduct a meeting with the royals of this land," he announced.

The people started agreeing and made way for the royalty that were visiting while the villagers chose a representative. Once a representative was chosen all of the leaders walked straight into Castle DunBroch. They had barely set foot inside the castle when they had to duck down to dodge a flying axe. It stuck to the wall behind them, making the group move away.

"Get back here!" Astrid yelled until she noticed the group.

She quickly grabbed her axe from the wall and backed up when Merida came running in.

"Where'd that good for notin'—?" Merida asked with a sword in hand from behind Astrid.

She saw the group and cleared her throat before hiding the sword behind her back.

"Why, hello there. Is there something ye'd like to discuss?" Merida asked as if she hadn't just been swinging her sword around.

"As a matter of fact, yes Princess Merida. We are all here to discuss the problem with the ...dragons," the first man said, unsure of what word to use to describe those giant fire-breathing lizards.

"Yes, of course. I can explain everything," Merida told them.

"We'd like a formal meeting with the King and Queen," the man clarified.

"Of course, I'll fetch them. Meanwhile, won't ye all wait for us in the council room?" Merida asked.

Merida didn't want to leave them, but she also knew she had to talk to the vikings before looking for her parents. Luckily, Maudie happened to be walking by so Merida asked her to lead them to the room. Once they were gone Merida turned to Astrid.

"I can't believe he got away," Merida groaned in annoyance.

"Yeah, the way he sort of vanished was bizarre. We'll keep looking for him while you're in your meeting," Astrid told her.

"No, whatever he's planning can wait, unless you find the others and tell them to keep looking. Right now, we need ye to show the people that your dragons are tamed and not a danger to anyone," Merida replied.

"Like a mini-dragon rider lesson?" Astrid asked.

"Exactly! The last thing we need is for a fight to break out with so many leaders here," Merida told her.

"Don't worry Merida, we'll take care of everything," Astrid assured her.

Merida smiled as Astrid turned to leave.

"Oh! And if ye see Hiccup and Valka before I do, please tell them to meet us in the council room. They can ask a servant where the room is," Merida instructed.

Astrid seemed to tense up. She nodded without turning around.

"Sure, Princess," Astrid replied curtly before leaving.