Part 5: Home

“Are you serious?” His face lights up, but I can tell he’s taken aback.

“You’re my husband,” I say. “I should be with you.”

“But you don’t remember me,” he says uncertainly. “You don’t know me.”

“I’ll get to know you again!” I say with growing enthusiasm. “Surely the best chance I have of remembering my life is to live it. You can tell me about yourself, and me, and our marriage…. I can learn it all again! And that doctor said familiar circumstances would help. They’ll trigger my retrieval system or whatever.”

I’m more and more positive about this. So I don’t know anything about my husband or my life.Everyone has to work at their marriage in some way or another. I’ll just have to work at the “remembering your husband” part.

“Jimin, I really want to come home with you,” I say as sincerely as I can. “I’m sure we have a great, loving marriage. We can work it out.”

“Yeah" he nervously chuckles."It would be wonderful to have you back.” Jimin still looks troubled.

“Well, I think it’s a very good idea,” Mom puts in.
“That’s it, then,” I say. “Settled.”

“Obviously you won’t want to…” Jimin hesitates awkwardly.

“I'll take the guest room." I chime in
"I can take that.You can sleep in my-I mean our roo-

"It's okay,Jimin.I am really fine with the guest room." I reassure him

He nods and smiles.His gaze falls on my wedding ring that I kept at the side table.But he doesn't say anything and looks back at me.I pick the ring and hand it to him.

"Here" I hold out my left hand.His face brightens and I watch as he slips the ring onto my finger.

I gaze down at my beringed hand.
Fuck, that diamond’s huge.

“Does that feel right?”Jimin asks.
“It feels…great! Really. Just right.” I  say, suddenly excited.
A huge smile licks across his face.
___________________________________
It must be karma

I must have been amazingly noble in a previous existence. I must have rescued children from a burning building, or given up my life to help lepers, or invented the wheel or something. It’s the only explanation I can think of for how I’ve landed the dream life.

Here I am, zooming along the Thames Embankment, with my handsome husband, in his open-top Mercedes.

Jimin signals left. “Well, here we are…” He pulls off the road into a grand pillared entrance, past a porter in a glass box, into a parking space, and then turns off the engine. 

“Come and see your home.”

It’s way better than I imagined. As I walk around, I’m awestruck. It’s massive. It’s light. It has views over the river. There’s a vast, L-shaped cream sofa and the coolest black granite cocktail bar. The shower is a whole marble-clad room, big enough for about five people.

“Do you remember any of this?” Jimin is watching me intently. “Is it triggering anything?”

“No. But it’s absolutely stunning!”
Although I had imagined that by 2021 we would have flying cars,robots in our houses instead of servants.But it's actually the same.Not impressed by you,2021

"Where will I be living?" I ask

"Come here" he gently grabs my wrist and takes me to a room which is…..
Huge.
Stunning
People can play football here
"T-thats the guest suite?" I stumble upon words,my mouth still wide open.