Prologue

[The OBX]

———————————————

———————————————

"We're the Pogues, and our mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time"

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?" A boy spoke up looking up towards his friend.

"I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival" he added.

"Be careful up there John B" a blonde haired girl said whilst flipping through her magazine.

"Hm, Should I do it?" The brunet boy asks.

"Yeah, jump. I'll shoot you on the way down"

"You'll shoot me?"

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Another girl said.

"Of course. Why wouldn't they?"

"This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?" She muttered.

"I can't have cold towels" a blond boy laughed.

"Can you please not kill yourself?" She looked up at the brunet boy.

"Don't spill that beer! I'm not giving you another one."

"Woah! Oh, shit." He says as he dropped the can of beer onto the deck.

"Wow great job" the blonde girl cheered sarcastically.

"Of course you did."

"Smooth."

"A-plus"

"Dumbass"

"Hey, uh, security's here. Let's wrap it up."

"Alright, boys are early today."

"Humpty Dumpty, let's roll." The blond boy exclaims as he jumps down.

They take off running from the security guards, the blonde girl jumps over the fence and runs along side the darker haired girl, both laughing. They make it to the van and see the other two boys jumping over the fence, one of them falling flat on their face.

"Come on boys!"

"Whoo!"

Both boys jump into the moving van whilst the security guard was still chasing the group of teens.

"Check out Gary, gunning' for a raise."

"Come one, Gary!" The blond boy leans out of the van whilst the blonde girl holds his arm to keep him from falling out of the van.

"You're gonna give him a heart attack" the dark haired girl laughed.

"We'll definitely be the death of him"

"You're so close! You can do it. There you go" the blond laughs as he throws the empty beer can towards the security guard.

"They don't pay you enough, bro."

"JJ stop, come on" the blonde girl pulls him into the van and he looks at her with a smile.

"Oh, come on. That sort of initiative is just begging to be punished"

"The Outer Banks, Paradise on Earth"

"Its the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses"

"Two tribes, one island."

They drive past the rich neighbourhood, the water filled with expensive yachts.

"All right. This is Figure Eight, the rich side of the island. Home of the Kooks. So, guess where we don't live"

"JJ stop!" The blonde girl laughs as she squirms around in the blond boys arms as he continues to tickle her.

"And then, this is the south side or the cut. Home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters."

"The natural habitat of... drumroll, please..."

"... the Pogues"

"Thats us"

"Pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish."

"Lowest member of the food chain. Okay. So, the downside of Pogue life is we're ignored and neglected. But the upside of the Pogue life? We're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want."

"Dance with me m'lady" the blonde boy laughs as he held a hand out towards the girl.

"Thats JJ, my best friend since third grade. He's about as local as they come.
Latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding salt-lifers who made their living off the water. Best surfer I know. Just don't tell him I said that. Mild kleptomaniac and a future tax cheat."

"Of course kind sir" the blonde girl smiled as she took his hand.

"Then we have Joanna or Jo as she prefers to be called. She moved here six years ago from rainy London, not really sure why though. She's the so called mom of the group, anything you need she has in her purse, first aid kit, food, you name it. Jo always comes prepared. Jo is a rich kid but she likes hanging out with us, again, no idea why. She's best known for wearing her signature colourful summer dresses with her straw hat and being a ray of sunshine."

"Don't even get me started on the microplastic" the wavy haired girl spoke up.

"And that's Kiara, or Kie, as we call her.When not saving turtles or listening to Marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs out with us. I'm not really sure why, though. So, she's a rich kid, like Jo. Foot in both worlds.Her family owns The Wreck, this Outer Banks institution.Total cash cow with the tourists.You know, I'm not really sure how her parents feel about us. We all have a thing for her, well all except JJ. He had his eyes set on the little ray of sunshine."

"I want to be a coroner"

"And that's Pope, the brains of the operation... finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship.And the smartest person I know. Little bit of a weirdo.His father's this legendary character, Heyward. Anything you wanted on the island, Heyward could get for you. Now, I'm not sure Heyward knew what to make of his oddball son, but it didn't matter. He was a Pogue, just like the rest of us."

"So, that's my crew."

"And then theres me, John Booker Routledge"