Chapter Sixteen

[Lies and Golf clubs]

———————————————

"The tether is, like, really long. In the wrong weather, it could get pushed around." Pope informed them as he looked out towards the water. The four friends were at John B's testing out the ROV.

"Them we'll go at dead calm" John B suggested as he continued swimming around in the water.

"At Slack tide?" Kis spoke up as she climbed up the ladder, out of the water.

"So now, we just gotta wait around for the right weather. And today is not that day." Pope said as he looked towards the sky which was filled with dark clouds.

"Hey have any of you noticed something off about Jo?" JJ asked as he started to miss the constant presence of the blonde girl.

"Yeah, something's going on" John B voiced and Kie agreed with him. They all looked at Pope who was looking towards the floor.

"Pope, you know something" Kie said as she saw his eyes widen.

Pope hated lying to his friends but he promised Jo so he came up with the next best thing.

"Ok fine, she didn't want me to tell you guys but Jo was accepted as a candidate for this elite fashion school and is now working her ass off to get fully accepted" Pope lied as everyone's eyes widened.

"Wait that's amazing! Why wouldn't she tell us?" JJ cheered as he wore a bright smile on his face which made Pope feel even worse.

"She didn't want to make a big deal out of it until after she got fully accepted" Pope shrugged and the others seemed to understand, well all except for John B who still didn't look convinced.

⎈⎈⎈

Jo was sat in her bedroom with her headphones on as she listened to some music. She had stayed over at Pope's for the night and left early in the morning so she could tell her father what had happened. Her father had said that he'd handle it and gave her a handgun just incase she'd ever be in trouble again.

Jo was angry. Sure, her father had lots going on but in her opinion she should come first - he had pulled her into this situation in the first place by giving her the necklace. Her father just acted like it was a daily thing, which it might be for him, but definitely not for Jo.

Jo was startled when her mother came into her room, she threw her headphones off as she saw her mother saying words.

"Can you repeat that?" Jo asked sheepishly as she fell back onto her bed.

"Is everything alright sweetie?" Nicole Harper asked as she sat down on the bed, looking at her daughter who just let out a groan.

"No mum, nothing is alright! I have these people following me and wanting to kill me because of this stupid necklace that only opens with my fingerprint and dad just treats it like it's an everyday thing!" She exclaimed and immediately felt bad for raising her voice at her mother.