Chapter 9

Dirlu fanned herself as she headed to Natalie's office. The duchess and the host had many things to discuss, mainly about the sponsorship. The host had organized the match and after she pressed the key. She heard Dirlu enter as she while she saw her glare before she closed her fan.

“Is there are problem?” The host asked.

“There is. My father paid to get the D'or brand sponsored, and there is no sign of the sponsorship anywhere.”

“The sponsorship will be announced in due time. If you must know, your father isn't the only sponsor.” The host reminded.

“Don't make me laugh, the products you're advertising are as flimsy as the mop vacuum I bought a while ago. And for your information, the attachments are useless. If you can't test the products you're promoting. Don't bother putting them on display.”

“If you are demanding a refund, you can go file a complaint to customer service.” The host said, nonchalant.

“Oh I will, not just for the useless vacuum but for the tickets I paid for and the money my father invested. Not only will I file a lawsuit for embezzlement, I'll make sure to warn other investors about your fraudulent tournament.” Dirlu opened her fan to wave goodbye gracefully before she fanned herself on the way out. Natalie plastered a fake smile until the Duchess of D'or exited the office.

“This is just great!” The host fumed, “First it was the hack, then the vaccination scam and now this! How could this get any worse!?” Her rhetorical question had been answered when she heard yelling and rioting.

What is it now?

As she ran outside she saw the bracelets on the floor, which were specifically designed to nullify the powers of the magic users who weren't partaking in the fighting matches for safety measures. She spotted some of the commonfolk running for cover as she saw a red smoke. A red smoke that zigzagged in the air and faded, as she headed to the lounge and saw the skirmish, the people scattered while the magic users shot whomever was in reach, regardless if their moving targets had powers or not.

Dirlu heard the clinking sound of metal while she headed to the administration as she passed by the lounge, the magic users were curious as to why their bracelets unlatched and fell to the floor. Out of the blue, they felt an influence that enticed them to let loose, they acted upon impulse with the first thing that crossed their minds as a fight broke out with one another. Some of them wanted to shoot someone down with a spell, they did so. If they were in the mood to steal something, they did so. By the time Dirlu arrived to the administration, the administrators hid under their desks.

“I demand my refund!” Dirlu slapped the desk with her fan. Anaya and ADav were hiding under their desks while they ignored her. Adrian hadn't returned after his lunch break and they were worried that one of the rogue magicfolk had done something to him. “I'm not leaving without my refund!”

Quinn came out of her cubicle with a crossbow as it pointed at the duchess. The noble raised her gloved hands to the air.

“Duck!” Quinn commanded as Dirlu knelt to the ground and the crossbow launched the arrow at a witch as the witch countered by turning the arrow into ashes.

“Shoot!” Quinn ducked under her cubicle as a flurry of fiery darts were thrown at her direction. Dirlu crawled out of the way before one of the darts set her dress on fire. The duchess ellicited a high pitched scream as she used her fan to blow out the flames before Anaya ran to pick a fire extinguisher amidst the chaos and ran back to put it out.