Chapter 20

Eimy rode the sidecar to Iixr's residence after they brought the jar full of gelatinous golem sweat she requested for an analgesic. Mewmi propped herselfon the jar as she peered into the residence as the sign Iixr's Herbs was in view.

Eimy parked the sidecar in front of Iixr's house, then unbuckled her helmet. Seep slinked his way out of his seat as his semi-liquid form wobbled, then stood firm. Eimy grabbed the jar before Mewmi hopped on her shoulder before they entered the place.

Iixr looked up from her work on a bench and smiled at them when she saw that it was them. She put down the tray of herbs she was holding and motioned the pair over. The two followed as Iixr took them down to her greenhouse. The two sat on the benches across from her while she poured some clear liquid in their jars.
"So, how did your mission go?"
Eimy sighed, she needed to get back home to prepare the pâté to feed Mewmi, make dinner and pack some on her way to the infirmary on her first night on the shift.

"We have the golem serum." Mewmi exclaimed.
That seemed to satisfy Iixr, who smiled and returned to her work. She finished the second one just as she'd finished the first and capped the container with a thick paper towel. She handed it to them both.

The difference between the ointment Iixr applied to Mewmi earlier was nothing compared to the finished serum. This serum in particular can seal a gaping wound in a matter of seconds. It can repair damaged tissue, including bullet wounds and deep gashes which could also come in handy for Eimy's new job as a substitute nurse.

"You may use these until you can return them."
Eimy nodded and thanked Iixr as the healer turned around to continue what she'd been doing. Eimy glanced at her watch. She had a little over an hour before she'd need to start preparations.

"Hey, Iixr...could we borrow something from you? I've gotta head back home soon..." She asked sheepishly as she rubbed her neck.
It wasn't often Eimy would ask for anything but Iixr knew better than to say no. If her friend needed anything, she wouldn't hesitate to help.
"Of course." She replied and gestured to her shelf full of vials.
Eimy picked out the jar of jelly with the label on it from the shelf. Iixr pulled down another jar as well, labeled "Sugary Jelly".
She carefully handed the three jars to each of them. They left the greenhouse shortly after that as Iixr returned to her work.

[Ruben II finds Erica]

The Cinnabarian didn't go through all the trouble of disguising himself as a caretaker, bypassed the security guards and went to search for the prize money just to get left in the dark. No, he didn't go to such lengths to be stopped midway in finding the only lead that could take him to said prize money. Neither Erica didn't spend all this time seeking a wayward wizard to reach a dead end, nor to get her rear end getting hit by a cleaning cart.

Erica pointed the flashlight at Ruben II, though she had no idea which of the employees she came across. The Cinnabarian was wearing a cap that covered his curly ginger hair. The facemask concealed his face, and the sunglasses hid his chestnut eyes. He was also wearing latex gloves, and his forboding approach was of no help either.

“Who are you?” Erica asked.

The Cinnabarian ignored her question, and turned away from the light and headed into the hall. He has no interest at all in her, or anyone else in this place, let alone what their motives were. His only desire was for the promised reward money and nothing more. He had no time to waste with this broad's questions.

“Wait!”

The Cinnabarian kept walking.

Erica ran to catch up to the man. “You can't seriously think I'll let you run off without talking to me!” She followed him into the corridor. “Where are you going!? We need to talk!”