5

Since that day...I have learned that the man, Tanjuro Kamado, and his wife, Kie Kamado along with their son, Tanjiro, and newborn at the time, Nezuko wanted me to stay. They didn't feel comfortable with me going on my own and request that I stay. During the time I was here, Tanjuro talked me about the creatures who attacked my clan. He soon trained me in the basics and even introduced me to the Hinokami Kagura.

They really treated me as a member of the family. Even as their family had expanded by two more members, it felt as if we were one big happy family.

At the beginning...I based my hopes of happiness in the past. I based them on my experiences with my mom and dad. Though our clan had our tradition of enduring overzealous training...my mother and father broke away from the polygyny aspect of it. My father never saw any other woman but my mother...to him, having her and the product of their love, me, was enough for him.

The sounds of their children playing as I sat under the tree and looked upwards...was a moment of peace. But it couldn't take away the horrible memories of that night.

I looked down when I felt something nuzzle itself into my side. That wolf managed to stay by my side. No longer did it want to harm me the way it wanted to the first time it met. It did show hesitancy around the Kamado family though but with a bit of warming up to them, he began to warm up to them. Tanjiro was the one to name him due to his cold nature, Kori.

"(Y/N)! Dinner!"

She didn't have to tell me. I could smell the enticing aroma of fish and broth.

I stood up from the ground and walked towards the house. It had been years since that day and demons haven't roamed these parts...or maybe demon slayers are doing their part and are finally slaughtering them. But still, it was weird that those demons were adamant about finding the ore for their master so why haven't they checked the neighboring towns?

Kori brushed his head against my hand causing me to glance down at him as he looked up as if he was questioning what I was thinking only causing me to smile a bit and look on ahead.

Everyone was at their respective spots for dinner and began eating. It was a small meal but delicious and made with love. Everyone was content with it and the silence until it was broken.

"(Y/N), I believe you are ready for Final selection?"

I only looked at him quite puzzled on what Final Selection was...I remember hearing something about it from my clan being a deathmatch but...never really heard about it.

"You probably haven't heard of it," Tanjuro said, "a retired demon slayer mentioned that Final Selection is an entrance exam for individuals who seek to become a Demon Slayer of the Demon Slayer Corps. The exam takes place on Fujikasane Mountain, where Wisteria bloom every season from the mountain's foot to its slope."

"It sounds so pretty!" Nezuko cheered, "I want to go!"

"You can't go, Nezuko," Tanjuro said.

"But Y/N gets to go...hmph!" Nezuko puffed causing me to chuckle a bit. She surely did act like a little toddler.

"That's because Y/N is of the age to go," Tanjuro said, "According to the former slayer, she will have to stay there for seven-night without any outside aid and fight against evil demons in order to pass the test."

That was an interesting twist. He wanted me to take this test so I can become a demon slayer. Did he really feel as if I was capable of fighting demons?

He soon turned his attention towards me, "Candidates who successfully survive the seven nights are then permitted to become official members of the Demon Slayer Corps."

"So...dad...what about Kori?" Tanjiro asked.

"Kori will have to stay here with us while Y/N takes the test," Tanjuro answered.

I glanced down at the wolf who was eating his own food made up of scraps and healthy berries picked for him. He seemed to not pay any mind to it.

But to have a chance to fight demons and protect people could be a way to avenge my parent's death and protect the ones I hold dear...

"When is the exam?"

"It will be two days from now."

"What will I be fighting with?"

"The former slayer allowed for you to use his sword."