10

My chest heaves with desperate breaths as I dart through the remainder of the forest, my bloodied feet leaving wet tracks in the earth as I held my shoes. Spidering branches catch at my skin and clothing, and I blink tears out of my eyes as they leave stinging furrows in their wake.

Fear became a tangible, living force that crept over me like some hungry beast, immobilizing me; my brain, holding me captive. All six of his eyes following my weak form from the shadows of that night and yet he just walked one as if I was nothing. He could have killed me if he wanted to, and he chose not to.

My mind was rambling on the thoughts of what could have happened that I didn't know I had reached the Kamado residence. It wasn't when I heard my name being yelled out, that my thoughts and legs halted.

I looked up and I was instantly greeted by Tanjuro and Kie with a hug. I can't tell from their tears they were happy to see that I had survived Final Selection. Their kids soon ran out and attacked me with hugs causing me to smile slightly at their concerns and even pat young Nezuko considering she was the one crying the most.

"You know, Nezuko wouldn't leave Kori alone once you left and Kori stood beside her," Tanjuro said.

I glance down at the wolf as he seemed to have laid himself underneath a tree not far from our gathering causing me to again smile.

----

Days pass and it seemed as if nothing had changed. It was chores during the day, playing with the kids, and training with Tanjuro as much as he is capable considering his sickness was getting worse. At night, I would assist with patrolling the area with Kori by my side.

It was any day now...

and that day was now...that I was going to get my Nichirin blade.

As much as I would have been happy to have been receiving this blade...I knew having this blade would bring him back. Despite being mysterious and reserve in his own way, I know he will seek me out and attempt to find me because the blade I am about to receive will have the very thing he possesses ...the very thing that killed my clan and my parents.

"My name is Haganezuka, I have forged Uzui Y/N's sword and I am here to deliver it."

"This is her."

He tipped his hat slightly upwards to which I got a good look at his a Hyottoko mask.

"How did you manage to get your hands on such a rare piece of ore?" he questions more gasped out of shock.

I didn't answer.

"Sword," I said simply.

He simply pulled the cloth from the sword and place the blade in my hand. Soon the door opened and Tanjuro walked out of the house and turned towards me as he noticed a blade in my hand and laughed.

"Well, Y/N draw your sword," Tanjuro said, "I am pretty sure Kie will be okay if I am a bit late getting the ingredients for dinner."

I was puzzled at his sudden arrival and more confused when he took a seat beside the swordsmith eager to see the blade.

I looked down at the sword and pulled out the blade from its sheath. It looked like any other sword. However, as I studied the blade I realized it began to change colors. The base was a pitch-black color, with it fading into a white/bluish color and the very tip with a hint of red.

The swordsmith was absolutely stunned at the colors that were shown on the sword and then looked between me and the blade.

"I-I have never seen a Nichirin sword show 4 colors at once, you must be a rare child...then again working with an ore that had blue lily fragments was amazing in its self."

"Red, Blue, White, and Black...Y/n you are going to be a great ally against the demons in this world."

Am I? If anything, I feel as if I am quite the opposite...and if I am going to be a great ally...does that mean that the demon I see-

"Y/N!"

I looked up and noticed a crow coming down from the sky. I raised my hand out for it to land on it as it turned its head and looked at me through its orbs.

"Y/N! Y/N, your first mission awaits-you must head Northeast and eliminate the horde of demons!"

"Hm..."

I dropped my arm, the bird flew away and landed on Kori's head and he didn't look to please.

I turned around and headed back inside to change from my casual kimono was mostly white with a light icy blue and white cherry blossom flower crest at the collar and sleeves along with my sashinuki hakama which were gathered at the ankles, producing a "ballooning" effect into a traditional female kimono that had an assortment of patterns in different shades of midnight blue and icy blue, along with a badge bearing the emblem of my clan tied to the front of my clothing below my right breast. I wore dark blue thigh-high tights with small diamond openings at the top. On the back of my outfit, I wore a crimson bow with tassels. I also wore high-heeled sandals; the one on the right was adorned with two pale blue flowers.

I guess if this word sees me as a great ally towards the eradication of demons in this era, I cannot have my fears of one stop me. I must get stronger.