63

Not even five minutes had passed after Rengoku and I parted ways when the doctor came in.

The scent of the blood was thin in the air as the doctor examined the laceration on my shoulder.

"It is amazing how you are still alive with the amount of blood you lost," the doctor mentioned as his eyes darted from the nasty wound to the sleeve of my kimono was tattered, leaving but frayed threads and pieces of dangling fabric that weighed and splotched red. His focus then went back to my figure,"Did you feel dizzy from the blood loss?"

"No," I stated indifferently.

My expression remained neutral and my eyes floated over the laceration, along with the healthy pile of discarded plastic and cotton laid out. I was far too in thought on the events that had transpired during my exchange with Uzui's brother and Rengoku's sudden appearance.

My eyes were piercing straight through the wall of the room before I flinched and drew a quick breath from the stinging alcohol he was placing on the wound. My attention was turned toward the doctor as he continue to clean the wound of any possible pathogens that could infect it.

No matter the amount of work he dedicated to stifling and cleansing the wound, it was beyond his expertise; though truthfully, more beyond any logicality to handle if one wasn't from the Uzui clan. But if it brought Rengoku peace of mind, I guess it was inevitable.

"I will stitch this up and wrap it, but you should limit your movements on this arm to prevent your wound from reopening, "After two days, you can take this off to clean around the wound."

He carefully plucked away the loose pieces of material that clung close to the wound.

"You will need someone to assist you in changing the bandages."

"Understood," I simply replied as he tied the bandage around my arm.

Once the sounds of shoji scrapping the chalked frame, it was immediately followed by the sounds of thunderous steps rushing into the room. My golden gaze turned towards the culprit of such noise to see him looking down at you with a sheepish smile.

"I'm glad your wound is patched up," Rengoku quite subtly as his eyes remained fixed on mine causing me to grow hot underneath his gaze.

"Partially thanks to your persistence in carrying me here," I commented while bitting back a fond smile at his determined actions, "However, I really wish you do not neglect your duties and promise to the woman."

Rengoku only started and soon had an imperceptible smirk on his visage. He soon laid his sword on the floor before kneeling in front of me.

"Too bad!" Rengoku exclaimed, "You are stuck with me!"

Immediately my face turned red at his statement. He was so bold with his words.

"Also!" Rengoku continued, " You will need someone to help you with your wound and duties in this region."

"I do not need assistance with either my wounds or my duties," I retaliated with a tone that held an edge to it, clearly affronted that he could conceive an idea such as that in his head because of a wound that I knew I could over come. In spite of my words, my express remained unchanged, aloof and flawless as the first time I had met him, "I am not crippled."

"I know you are not!" Rengoku answered, "But you are also not in the perfect state to fend against an upper demon if one was to appear which seems to be a tendency in this area based on the reports the master shares with us."

"He will not make an appearance in this area if he knows that I am injured," I assured, "He is quite the samurai and prefers an honorable fight rather than one that would benefit in his favor."

Rengoku only stared into my eyes.

"I also have Daisuke to assist me with my wounds."

The moment I said that his gaze changed, from one of warmth to one that was sharp. His brows furrowed and his lips pressed into a thin line before changing to a much more determined stare. Before I knew it, he pressed his forehead against mine. My face was completely burning red with embarrassment at his action.

"Too bad, you are stuck with me," he repeated in a whisper, "And I will be the one to assist you with your wounds-after all, it is a husband's job to protect and care for his wife even if she is so damn independent especially when this isn't the time to act like that."

"H-How could you be so sure that you and I will marry one day?" I questioned, "The profession we are in isn't exactly one that ensures longevity."

Rengoku only smiled, "Prior to the examination, I was strictly determined in following my father's footsteps in becoming the Flame Hashira-but that night when you coldly made it clear that "you didn't discriminate" between demons and humans in terms of their action and every event that followed after that night-made it impossible to not love you. I didn't want to fall in love with you that night but every action and story after that night made it impossible and ensured that I wouldn't lose you. Now, I am glad I decided to confess the night of the festival, especially since I get the pleasure of seeing how cute you get when you are super embarrassed."

Honestly, I didn't know how red my face could get from this man. If the demons weren't going to kill me...he sure would succeed from his words alone.