36

Since then, I had come to a resolve with my feelings. I forced myself to focus on getting stronger and better in my breathing style rather than focus on Rengoku and his relationship. After all, the book I once read said if you wish for the one you love to be happy with another you are only there to accept their decision.

His hot breath fanned against my skin as his mouth roamed my neck and chest, licking up the cold sweat and tears that was starting to fall from my eyes.

With the thoughts of that demon and what he did...it was clear that I was damaged good and it was probably for the best that I accepted it. I also accepted the fact that the demon was spot on about it and I didn't want to allow any demon the chance to use my feelings against me ever again.

After all...

"Challenges contain enormous growth and when we overcome them, we can never go back to our old way of life. They help us recognize the endless possibilities and expand our consciousness."

I read to myself as I flipped the page of the book while sitting on the edging strip of non-tatami-matted engawa that looked at the amethyst wisteria tree around the front.

Wisteria petals danced around me, the ground littered with lilac. Through the wisteria bowing heavily over my head, I would occasionally make out little pink veins that the sun hit through the bountiful flowers.

My eyes smoothly surveyed pages, velvety lips fluidly parting as my tone sang words. My free hand occasionally petted Kori who had brought some things from the north to here along with my Kasugai crow.

"Y/N, here is the list of ingredients I need from the market today,"

I focused my attention on the woman, an old lady as she hands out the paper with the ingredients. I simply grab the paper.

"Kori stay here in case a Kasugai Crow comes," I stated while rising from my spot, placing the book down, and walking off towards the market.

With the warm sun beaming down in the land it was no surprise that everyone was roaming the streets of this town eager to get some shopping done before night fell.

Combing through the list and getting each item was easy and some for free, the number of items was astounding but when you host demon slayers and nurse them to health it was clear why the amount was needed. It also meant that it would be a struggle to bring these bag back with a injured wrist.

"Kuraokami-sama, please come have some tea," one of the vendors offered.

I simply nodded towards the vendor as he eagerly went to grab his equipment to brew a cup of what seemed to be jasmine tea causing me to chuckle. The people of the north sure do make it a point to document everything I like and spread it like wildfire. It also makes me very careful as it makes information more accessible to my enemies.

My gaze was fixed on the equipment as the vendor began brewing my morning tea, beams of sunlight came through illuminating my calm face.

"Your tea, Kuraokami-sama."

"Hm."

I breathed in the scent. Different every time, with each sniff. It was scented with the aroma of fresh jasmine blossoms whose buds just bloomed and their oils seep into the leaves. The first sip tasted like a delicate floral flavor this morning. Many would say it needs sugar or honey, but the mellow flowery flavor was enough for me to be content. The next sip was better, sweeter and the flavor fuller.

Before I knew it, I was sitting gracefully in my new demon slayer attire that mimicked my attire back when I resided with the Kamado family, delicately sipping from a cup of tea as I watched everyone running to stands to buy candy and vegetables.

Occasionally kids would walk up towards me begging for me to play with them which I would politely decline telling them that I was on a mission.

Once I finished the tea, I left a tip and proceeded to carry the bags towards the wisteria mansion I was staying at.

Each step sent a vibration to my wrist. I slightly bit my lip to keep myself from whimpering in pain.

"Maybe I should have brought them back in small amounts..." I mumbled to myself, "I should ask Uzui's muscular mice to help."
My mind wander off to the body structure of those animals. If I wanted one question in this life answered, it would be on how those mice are able to slip through cracks. Normal mice yes it's understandable but those mice had large muscles like Uzui! It was inhumane!

I hissed in pain.

Then, my hand went numb. The bags in one of my hands fell from my grip and onto the floor below me. I tried to move my fingers, but they weren't responding like they should have. Just small, sporadic twitches.

The pain stung. It was like electric jolts of energy shot up and down my arm. There were a million knives stabbing my wrist.

"Allow me to help!"someone sounded patriotic.

He had bent down and picked up the bags and forced the others set out of my hands. The golden hair that framed his face pooled to the front as he bent down to grab the bags.

He looked up at me with great intensity and I noticed those fiery eyes ringed in amber looking at me with a dazzling smile on his face. The mid-day sunlight bounced off of his golden mane, the wind rustling it gently.

I remained to have a calm exterior but deep down I swallowed down my ping of panic, "I don't need your help."

"You probably don't but I am going to offer it anyways," Rengoku declared brightly, smiling in a way that could make anyone warm.

"Drop the bags," I ordered.

Also!" Kyojuro continued on while ignoring my request, a grin on his face, "You shouldn't be lifting heavy things with an injured wrist."

My eyes narrowed at his words. I was wearing a different kimono so he couldn't have seen the wrapping around my wrists as easily.

"I can manage," I stated flatly.

He hummed, eyeing me with that grin of his, "we can't afford for you to have any worsened conditions."

It was futile to get him to back down so it was best to just walk forward. The quicker we get to the wisteria mansion, the quicker he would leave.