8

"Welcome back everyone,"

I slowly walked back to the gate and noticed how I was surrounded by the wisteria. As I reached the meeting point, I noticed only one other person standing aside from the woman...that eccentric boy with the hair.

He turned to look towards me for me to get more of his features. His blazing, golden hair was the first thing to capture my attention. With vibrant red tips and highlights that rivaled actual torchlight. His eyes, even at this distance, were the next thing to notice. They shone brighter than any stars that might've been in the sky on any other night, and there was a burning determination and oozing optimism in them. And yet though I would admit he was handsome...his smile disgusted me. He was smiling at the fact that over 30 people died in the course of seven days.

We were the only two out of 30 something people to actually survive...

"And Congratulations." the woman said, "I am pleased to see you're both safe."

I simply stared at this woman, not a word gracing my lips, as was my custom. It was hard to take her praise after being on the mountain suffering from nights that had been harsh and unimaginable...especially last night.

"I am ready for the next challenge!" he shouted exuberantly.

"Before you are given any mission, we need to take your measurements for your uniform, assign your ranks, assign your Kasugai Crow, and select the ore for your nichirin sword."

I pulled the ore from my kimono and walked towards the woman and placed the ore in front of her as her eyes looked down at ore and widen.

"Y-young lady, where did you get this ore?"

"That is none of your concern," I answered, "You wanted me to select an ore, so I did."

"You need to show some respect to those who are older than you!" the boy with the weird hair scolded while pointing his large, calloused hand in my direction.

"Tsk!" I answered as I turned around and walked away from both of them. I didn't care about the rules, merits, and standards one must have to be a demon slayer, only one rule was prevalent: kill demons.

"Hey!" he yelled out as he reached out to grab my kimono sleeve and just like the demon that grazed my sleeve, I whipped around. My hand wrapping around his neck before he could even register that he had touched me. I held him at arm's length, his toes barely grazing the ground below. He tugged at my fingers, desperately trying to get some air. His bright confidence in his aura dropped ever so slightly. Seeing that in his eyes...only slightly tightened my hold.

"Please stop," the woman tried to soothe.

I released my grip, dropping him to the ground. He slightly coughed, gasping for air through his nearly crushed windpipe. He was really all talk but no strength. It must have been that will that kept him alive.

"Touch me again and I will not hesitate to kill you. I don't discriminate." I said blandly. Golden eyes lidded dully.

All he did was look at me as I walked away from him. Every step I took from him, his eyes sparkled as his smile grew evermore, "I cannot wait for the opportunity to work alongside you miss!" His boisterous voice was loud, "My name is Kyojuro Rengoku, Can I ask your name?"

I ignored him and left the area...but something told me that this wasn't going to be the last time I see him.