𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯. TRAGEDIES IN THE MAKING

▬▬▬ CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR ▬▬▬

⚠️ WARNING ⚠️

Not a forbidden tango but a slightly suggestive scene happens in the middle of the chapter 🌚

(Ethan would never survive No Nut November 💀)

ESMERELDA COULDN'T GET HER MIND off of the way Annabeth looked at her. She didn't look upset that she refused to go meet Hercules with Jason. Instead, the blonde actually looked concerned. For her.

But that couldn't be it, because what was there to be concerned about? Ethan? The way Annabeth looked at her gave her the impression that the girl was scared for her because of her boyfriend.

I'm being silly, she tried to tell herself, but Ethan's hardened grip around her hand kept reminding her of what he had been like back at Tartarus.

She stopped walking once they reached the hallway containing everyone's cabins.

"Ethan, um, maybe I should go talk to Annabeth for a bit," she said hesitantly. "You know, to apologize and stuff. She looked... disappointed back there."

"There's nothing to apologize for," he said bluntly.

"Just give me a few minutes, okay?" She asked, sliding her hand away from his. "I'll meet you back in our room."

"Okay," he replied calmly, giving her a nod of confirmation. He turned around and started walking back to their room and Esmerelda turned around to head back upstairs.

It hadn't even occurred to her how suspicious it was for him to agree so easily.

Fortunately for her, Annabeth was still up on deck. She was leaning against the railing, keeping an eye out for the island Jason and Piper had been dropped off in. Her stormy eyes were narrowed, like she was wary of any attacks from a beach monster or whatever.

The older girl glanced over her shoulder and relaxed when she saw her.

"Oh good," she said. "You're here."

Esmerelda quirked a brow as she joined her at the railing. Annabeth had been expecting her?

"I came here to apologize," she began. "You know, about not going with Jason to speak with Hercules. I just... After what happened in Tartarus and the Skolopendra attack, I'm just not able to handle being separated from Ethan... but I understand that I shouldn't have let my feelings get in the way of the quest..."

Annabeth turned to her, her face so serious that it made Esmerelda shrink a little.

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about," she said. Her voice was unnaturally quiet for some reason, as if she wanted to keep from being overheard from any potential eavesdroppers. The whole deck was empty save for the two of them though.