Chapter 28

Before she knew it, Nalalie's feet sprinted towards the scene, her heart beating against her chest like a roaring ocean wave.

The monster's claws came crashing down on her, sending sharp jolts of pain through her body. Blood splattered from her skin as if in slow motion and she fell to the floor. The excruciating pain and the sight of her own blood made her feel faint.

"Nala...?" Subaru seemed to finally snap out of his daze and a feeling of horror ran through him as he rushed over to her and held her up. "Nala! Please wake up, Nalalie!"

Nalalie looked up at Subaru, her vision blurry. His tears dripped onto her cheek and mingled with her blood.

"I'll be fine, Subaru. Save yourself." She told him.

"Th-There's no way I'm leaving you, Nala!" Subaru told her.

Nalalie could sense the monster approaching. The eerie sound of it dragging its body got closer and closer.

"Please, Subaru!! You have to get outta here!!" Nalalie told him, desperately trying to get him to flee.

With each step the monster took, the wood floor began to give way until the two of them ended up falling headfirst into a black abyss beneath.

'This is the end.' Nalalie thought as she slowly closed her eyes and lost consciousness.

As she was free-falling, the last thing she felt was the warmth of Subaru's body clinging tightly to her to protect her.

****

Nalalie wole up to the morning sun casting its rays through the curtains. In contrast to the warm sunlight, her heart felt immensely heavy. It felt hard just to be alive.

"Subaru!"

Out of nowhere, she caught sight of Ray's younger self.

"Hey Subaru, are you listening to me?"

She realised that Ray was talking to her.

Confused, Nalalie tried to move her head, but couldn't and something in the window caught her eye.

The reflection took her by surprise for a second and she realised that this body wasn't hers.

It was Subaru's body and she couldn't help but wonder if she was dreaming.

"Were you sleeping?" Young Ray asked.

Nalalie, or rather Subaru, looked around at the other kids in the room.

Thoma was in the corner by himself and Monica was playing with her dolls.

Suddenly, the door creaked open and young Licht came in, grinning from ear to ear.

"Licht! Where have you been?" Ray said. "We could've started the game earlier, but now it's time for art class."

Licht laughed, shrugging off Ray's complaints.

Nalalie caould see a little girl trying to hide another girl behind Licht.

'Those little girls are me and Mina.'

The other kids started to gather around and Licht introduced the two girls.

Young Mina just nodded while Nalalie's younger self continued to hide behind her despite everyone's enthusiasm, not even a smile on their faces.

"Subaru! Come here!" Licht called out.

Subaru tried to take a step, but something held him back. It was an invisible force, something growing at the pit of his stomach. His sense of dread took over, and all Nalalie could do was watch as things unfolded.